epilogue

: ̗̀➛ੈ✩‧₊˚

— daylight !epilogue ; mr

daylight !
epilogue ; mr. and mrs. perry-williams

NEIL AND I SAT AT THE LONG TABLE, my dress flowing down around the chair

NEIL AND I SAT AT THE LONG TABLE, my dress flowing down around the chair. Neil's arms are wrapped around me. We pushed our chair closer to close the gab between us as much as we could. The clatter of cutlery on plates dies down as my mother stands up, holding a microphone and a sheet of paper.

Traditionally, my father should give the speech. But I decided years ago I would not have him at my wedding, whether he liked it or not. So I decided to have a mother of the bride speech instead.

My mother clears her throat. "Thank you, everyone, for coming. I am Emmeliah's mother, Margaret. I know, I know. Shocking. I look like her sister!" she jokes, and it receives a chuckle from the guests and wedding party.

"I remember everything that happened the day Emmeliah was born. Down to the room number. It was twenty-seven, by the way. Ahem..., Emmeliah was the littlest baby I had ever seen. Her head fit in the palm of my hand, and her body was about the same length as my wrist to my elbow. She was so small I wanted to squeeze her head until it popped."

I laugh at her joke, and so does everyone else. "It's true! It's true! Anyways, she was adorable. I remember when I first changed her diaper. I remember when she had her first bath, when she took her first steps. But what I remember the most...is when she laughed for the first time."

My mother places a hand over her heart. "It was the sweetest thing I had ever heard. And it still is. It was filled with so much joy it made me cry. All I could think about was how happy that little laugh was. And to think it was caused by her father bumping his head on the cabinet door."

For the third time, she causes everyone in the room to laugh.

"It was that moment I realised Emmeliah would be such a handful. And I am so grateful that Mr. Neil Perry-Williams now is the one putting up with that first thing in the morning." She raises her glass towards us as we laugh. "Piece of advice, Neil, buy her chocolate."