The Queen

The next morning, the Queen and the Valet toured the town, performing state duties. She left Kal behind to read a book and work on healing; she had a mission. She was off to find those who had hurt her Girl.

The Valet watched carefully. She understood how powerfully her Queen felt about her people. Whether or not things worked out with her little thief, what was important to the Queen was that she right that wrong. She could respect that. Even if she disliked puppy love.

With a large guard, the Queen and her Valet strolled the thouroughfares. They were keenly watched by everyone in the town, but it was a good thing—it seemed everyone was out and about. She wanted to look into every face.

She pondered how she felt about her Girl. Hee feelings were powerful, almost overwhelmingly so, and she found that this was a beautiful emotion. She wanted to be in love. Lonnie was kind and tender, but entirely unavailable, and she wanted a special sort of relationship that belonged only to her.

She wanted to keep her Girl. The realization made her smile.

The Valet said softly, "Your Majesty, to your left, down the alley."

The Queen looked. Between two great brick buildings, in a shadowy alley, she caught solemn, severe faces watching her. She stared them down until they bowed their heads. She had an ugly feeling about them. "Guards," she ordered sharply. "Bring them to me."

Her orders were obeyed immediately, and a hush fell over the townsfolk as these known thieves were marched to the Queen. Finnula watched them, and used her energy to feel over each of their auras. She knew if she just looked, she might find Kal's energy signature on one of them.

They did not have good energy. She could feel thievery, lies, and violence. And—finally, Kal. She could feel Kal's blood. It stained their clothing in little flecks.

She felt a sense of deep satisfaction. She had found them, and she had done so without traumatizing Kal by asking her to point them out. No, they pointed themselves out quite well.

"Throw these thieves in the stocks. Two weeks. Fed on clear broth and bread." The Queen smiled cruelly at them. "I hope your time offers you self reflection. I hope you also think very heavily about the violence you enacted upon my dearest treasure."

The thieves looked at her in confusion. The Queen said, "You will never place hands on another in a vulnerable position again. If I catch the faintest wind of this, I will imprison you for much longer and in a much more uncomfortable atmosphere."

The thieves were marched off, and townsfolk around them applauded politely. They were well known thugs, and seeing them punished accordingly would do morale exceedingly well.

The Queen spread her arms. "My people," she said loudly, "I wish you to know how passionately I feel about justice being done to and for those who deserve it. I welcome you to bring before me your troubles. The castle court is open to the public and every citizen has the right to be heard."

The townsfolk cheered their Queen, and she gave them a very respectful and unheard of curtsy.