Chapter Twenty-Two

Reed kissed me goodbye when he dropped me off in front of my dorm. Other than that, it could have been like any night after work. That was one of the best parts of our relationship: how seamlessly we'd moved from friends to more than friends. It didn't stop there either.

We fell into an easy routine during the last few weeks of classes and exams. We already worked together three nights a week, and I usually ended up spending those nights at his place. One side benefit was that I saw Cara tons more. She spent almost every night with Aaron. Mallory joked that we needed to find her another Kappa, but I think she enjoyed the single life.

I'd managed to avoid Dylan so far, but he still left me weekly voicemails to "check in." I told Reed about them, just to keep everything in the open. He offered to talk to Dylan for me, but I was afraid talking might involve a fist, and the calls weren't that bad. I assured him it wasn't that big of a deal.

"Have you figured out your winter break plans yet?" Reed moved behind me on his bed, giving me a shoulder rub. I needed it. Putting off my biology studying was turning out to be a huge mistake.

"My brother, Brandon, is supposed to pick me up after my last exam, and my dad is going to bring me back."

"Any chance you'd come back early for New Year's?"

"Won't the dorms be closed?"

He pulled me back against him. "This house won't be."

"My dad would have a heart attack."

"Can't he drop you off at the Delta Mu house?"

"Reed Bryce, are you suggesting I lie to my father about my sleeping arrangements?"

He took one of my hands in his. "You're already doing it. I doubt they know how often you stay here."

"True." I definitely hadn't mentioned that to my parents when I'd told them about my new boyfriend. "All right. I'll come back early."

"Good. I want to spend New Year's together."

"Me too." I turned around and got in his lap.

"Before I get too distracted, I have another idea."

"Yeah?" I asked impatiently. I really wanted him to kiss me.

"I can drive you home and save your brother the trip."

"But then you'd have to drive back."

"So? I have nothing planned." He stretched out his legs. We'd been sitting for way too long. I was so sick of studying for finals it wasn't funny.

"You really don't mind?"

"Nope. The question is, are you ready to introduce me to your family?"

"My parents are going to be in Vermont visiting my dad's sister, so it will just be my brothers."

"Should I worry about meeting them?"

"Probably a little. They're kind of protective."

He leaned his head closer to mine. "I bet I can handle them."

"I bet you can, but let's stop talking about my brothers."

"I like that idea." He pulled my face to his and helped me forget about studying biology.

***

"Are you ready for the ultimate road trip?" Reed stowed the last of my bags.

"We have snacks and music. I think we can handle it." I got into the passenger side, still not sure how I felt about going home for break.