Hoofdstuk Drie: Background

A yell echoes the walls of Max's hotel room, he had finally answered Christian Horner's call and he was pissed. His boss is still trying to get Max to apologize in an interview and he was having none of it, "Listen Christian, you know I'm not sorry," he shakes his head with a sigh and takes a seat on the side of his bed, this was the first time he had spoken English in days as he was only speaking Dutch to those around him.

"I don't care if you're not sorry, this is about the team!" the English accent of Christian fills the room as he scolds Max like a young child over the phone

"If they send me apologies for ending my race then I'll think about talking to the media,"  He grits his teeth together not going to give in, he almost had another win added onto his streak and they just took him out in the last corner ending his race entirely.

"Don't be like that Max, just say something to the Media! You're acting like a child, for God's sake."

"Formula One is a sport, we are bound to get pissed! Go and ask a Hockey player why he took his gloves off to box some guy who ruined their game, you'll get the same answer!" He yelled into the phone, Max isn't stupid he knows people only treat motor sport's like this you don't see the same sentiment towards any other competitive sports.

This reminded Christian about the one interview where Sebastian Vettel answered the question asked to Lewis Hamilton and went off on the person for asking why Lewis lost it, "You better call me back when you're going to do what your boss tells you to, I know that Wolff wouldn't put up with this," He emphasized the name of the Mercedes team principal before the line when dead, Max's phone beeps indicating the hang up.

"klootzak." Asshole

Max threw his phone down on the bed beside him in frustration, cuss words flow from his mouth without much thought.

With his head in his hand all he could think was: this is 2018 all over again back when he pushed Esteban Ocon... Only this time Max actually was out of the race completely not just losing a position.

Any other driver would have done the same as him, which a few of his fellow drivers said after the race...

Interviews after the final race of the season... I = Interviewer.

I: So, Daniel, thoughts on the way Max acted after being spun out in the final corner colliding with your fellow drivers?

DR: I don't have much to say- just that if I was in Max's place I would have decked everyone involved.

*

CL: I'm just happy I won... No I'm kidding, Max didn't deserve that and if I was Max I would have actually punched him.

*

LN: Max has shown that he's just incredible in that Red Bull and to be taken out in a unbelievable season... just horrible. Poor guy, I have to give him a ring.

*

CS: Anyone would have done the same as Max, for sure Lewis would have done it, Schumacher, Vettel, all the top guys would have.

*

YT: I don't see the the huge problem... Obviously getting too mad is- not great for your image, I'd know... but at the end of the day we are all people.

Max's mind drifted off to Elizabeth the girl he talked to a day ago, he never got her number which forced his mouth into a slight frown. He had no way in contacting her unless he stocked her, which Max wasn't really planing on doing. Instead Max shook his head and grabbed his coat from the back of a chair before leaving the room.

Max is leaving in a few days, which didn't help his mood what so ever. At this point Max was thinking about going and stay with his Mum in Belgium so he wouldn't have to go back to Monaco.

Without thinking much of it his legs had brought him to that coffee shop he went to most days of his stay in Rotterdam.

He pulls on the door, it opened with a ring of a bell. The shop was quite busy, there was a group of five right by the door talking in loud voices about what seemed to be a heated conversation about the PVV and FVD.

With his hands in his jacket pockets Max walks over the the counter but stops once he hears someone calling his name.

"Max?"

"Ja- oh!" Shocked Max continued, "Hallo, Elsje."

"Hallo," Elizabeth smiles at Max gesturing to her table that only had one other chair across from her, there was notes scattered across the table and a laptop open to a document. "Please have a seat," Max does as he's told and sits down across.

"You don't look too well, are you alright?" This is the first time Max had seen her smile drop in the short window of knowing her it almost scared him in a way.

"I had an argument with my boss," He says honestly, finding no reason why to lie.

"Sorry, you don't deserve that," Elizabeth whispers giving Max her full attention, "Would you like to talk about it?"

Max hums but shakes his head no, wanting this to be the one normal thing in his life: their conversations.

"How about I get you a coffee, hé?" Elizabeth announced, not giving him much room to argue. She stands and walks to the other side of the table where he is sat and stares expectantly, "Kom op," Let's go