𓆭𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𓆭

I peel my eyes open as rays of early morning sunlight cast beams across my room. Today is the day of the reaping.

I slowly ease myself out of bed with a groan, not bothering to check the time as I stumble down the stairs. I had just about gathered up the mental capacity to say good morning, when my mother gasps.

"Zuri!" She nearly shrieks, startling the whole household.

I stare at her blankly while I try to figure out why she could possibly be so shocked so suddenly, and then I realise.

Oh, That's right. The hair.

"What on earth have you done!" She exclaims in a squeaky voice.

"I cut it. What does it look like?" I grumble in reply.

"Well, you could have at least asked me first!" She scolds as she rakes her fingers through it from behind. The ironic thing is, she would have said no even if I did ask. I hear her huff before saying- "Come on. Let me fix it up."

I follow her towards our only bathroom and hand her the scissors that had been used last night. Our bathroom was reasonably sized for the 4 of us. A smooth stone basin, and an old wooden cabinet hanging above. Sitting opposite the sink, is a thankfully flushable toilet, and at the back of the room sits a bathtub with a rusting shower head hanging on the wall above.

My thoughts are interrupted by the quiet snipping of the scissors in Mum's careful hands.

"I do wish you kept it. You looked pretty with long hair." She sighs.

"And what, I don't now?" I scowl, feeling suddenly defensive.

"You know that's not what I meant, honey." She says, tilting her head to the side.

"Short hair isn't that bad, too." I cross my arms. "And besides, it will be easier to care for now."

"I suppose you are right on that one." She admits, placing the scissors down next to the sink. "Oh, and breakfast is ready." She adds, planting a quick kiss on my cheek and turning around for the door.

Hot fish cakes for breakfast. A special occasion meal. And a family favourite. It doesn't take me long at all to finish. We have plenty of time to prepare. Everyone is required out in front of the justice building by 11am. District 4 is one of the earliest districts to get the reaping which makes sense I suppose, given the community is a bunch of early birds. Count me out of that arrangement.

I wash my plate and begin heading back up the stairs to pick out a dress. It's nation standard that everyone looks decent for the reapings. I swing open the 2 doors of my wardrobe as my eyes begin to sift through the few dresses I own. I reach in and pick one out. A linen shirtwaist dress with dark buttons on the front that ran all the way down to the bottom, which was about knee length. Simple. Simple is good.

I slip it on, and move onto my hair. Usually I would do something with it. Put it in a braid or something. Now I think it's safe to say there isn't much to braid. Eventually, I decide to give it a quick brush and leave it out.

My family waits for me at the bottom of the stairs.

"You ready, sweetie?" Mum asks kindly.