{Chapter 110}

Arista's POV:

"It's a boy, my lady!"

Just a month after Martin Sunster and his leader left for war, I went into labor. The woman who helped me give birth was kind and I was stunned that they were able to find someone like her. When I asked about it, she said that she had been brought over from the village nearby.

The chaos erupted after the spy situation but the vile man recovered quicker than I hoped to. Shayne was gone. For some reason, she felt upset about it. So upset that she couldn't tell him goodbye.

He had been a loyal...companion. The way he promised to return and take me home after I gave him the ring I stole from Martin. And...the way he confessed his feelings to me.

After all that disarray with my current husband, I didn't need a man at the moment.

What I loved the most was my son, Draye. Since my husband wasn't here, I named my child after my family's naming ordinances. When he was placed in my arms for the first time, I was in shock.

This was the beautiful life that came out of someone as wretched as Martin. The being that protected me from his wrath to some extent.

"My child..." I mumbled, pressing a kiss to his head.

At that moment, I was looking out the window, cuddling my baby when my brother entered. Unfortunately, he wasn't taken along with the rest of those men. The 'King' had placed him and a small portion of his army back here for now.

"How's my nephew?" he titled his head. "And...how are you feeling?"

I turned my attention to my child. "Why would you care?" even he noticed the anger in my voice and opened his eyes. My eyes.

"You're my sister," he stated nonchalantly. "As your older brother, I'm supposed to care for you."

I looked at him, right in the eyes. "You were Daryn's brother too. What did you do while he was killed?"

My brother froze. I took a step closer to him. "You didn't even watch when he was being murdered. Coward."

He flinched. The heartless Drue Cyvern flinched. I scoffed, walking towards the bed. I hadn't recovered from childbirth yet and that nice lady told me to rest often.

"I thought you accepted your life here," I heard my brother say. "You have the husband you wanted. And now, his child is in your arms. Why does it matter if our idiotic brother was alive?" 

I laid my child on the bed, on the blanket I later wrapped him in. A chill was settling down in the room. He held his arm up, giving me a look before closing his eyes.

"I loved the man he pretended to be," I sighed. "And now...I wish I never fell in love with what was some unreal feeling. He was never true. Everything was a lie."

"You learned the hard way that life is harsh, Arista."

I turned to him, watching outside the window with collected. How does a man like that sleep?

"But I misjudged you, sister," he said. "It seems that I'm not the only one who had been hatching plans for so long."

I knew what he was talking about but pretended not to. "You thought wrong."

"I wasn't foolish enough to not notice Revar's feelings for you,"  he said, making me freeze. "The man had been in love with you for years. And when he volunteered to be your guard months ago, I allowed it because your husband did. If only he knew what you two were doing..."

I placed a hand over Draye's stomach. "So you know everything?"

He turned his head to me. "Realised it too late. The dots were hard to find but once I did, everything became linked."

"Now...you're here to kill me?"