Through the Mirror Part 2: Beyond the Reflection

The next day, Sarah and Maya's bus managed to be later than a dead person. They had to run as fast as they could to make it on time. Once again, they stumbled into the classroom and Sarah tripped over a cable on entry. "Dang it!" she exclaimed. "Rolled a 1 for coordination again..."
Maya helped Sarah up and they plodded to their seats.
    The day's lesson was a little more boring than the previous one, focusing on essay writing rather than anything actually interesting. I have it under good authority that not one single person likes essay writing. If you think you do, you probably aren't very happy with your life and frankly, you deserve it, ya boring piece of—
    Sarah and Maya found a way to make an objectively dull lesson marginally more fun by seasoning it with a delicious conversation about sharks. Specifically, what things would be like if they were the dominant species on Earth instead of humans.
    "Look, I'm just saying that shark golf would be ten times better than human golf," Maya began.
    "Maya, for the last time, sharks can't play golf," Sarah interrupted. "They can't hold a club with their flippers. In shark Earth, golf wouldn't even exist."
    "And wouldn't that make the world a happier place?"
    "Ah, I see your point..."
    At that moment, Martin gave the call for lunch break.
    Sarah had planned to try and speak with the mystery girl from the previous day, but again, she slipped out before Sarah got the chance.
Sarah followed Maya back to the lunch hall to meet with Lillian. Since their bus had shown up late, they didn't get the chance to see her earlier, so she was a little overexcited when they walked into the canteen.
    "OH THANK GOODNESS, I THOUGHT YOU WEREN'T COMING TODAY!" Lillian tackled Sarah and Maya with a hug and knocked them to the floor.
    "Sorry, sorry, our bus was just super duper late because the bus system in this place is fundamentally flawed in almost every way, and one day I will find a way to get my revenge..." Sarah explained, clenching her fist.
    "All this because of bus trouble? I was so worried I'd be completely alone today..."
    "Do you really think we'd skive without you?" Maya asked.
    "I dunno, probably not. Even so... I'm relieved to see you both."
    "That's all well and good but please could you get off of us? Everyone is staring."
    Lillian stood up and looked around at the rest of the people in the canteen. Every single one of them was looking at the trio as if they had nothing better to do. It was like someone had paused the whole room.
    "Oh not again..." Sarah squeaked, putting her hands over her eyes.
    Lillian noticed Sarah's visible discomfort and turned to stare angrily back at the crowd. "And just what exactly are you all looking at!?"
    Everyone in the room snapped back to what they were doing.
    Lillian picked Sarah and Maya up from the floor and dusted them off a little, leading them to the table she had picked out.
    "Thanks for the save," Sarah mumbled.
    "No probs," Lillian said. "You know I'll do anything to protect you two."
    "Hey, I don't need protecting!" Maya exclaimed. "I'm a strong, independent woman!"
    "There's a spider on your shoulder..."
    "WHERE!?" Maya frantically clawed at her shoulders to remove the deadly beast.
    Lillian reached over, picked the minuscule arachnid up, placed it on the floor and smiled smugly at Maya.
    "Shut up..."

~~~

Once back in their digital art class, Sarah and Maya managed to get invested in another conversation, tuning out everything else going on. When the end of the day came, they hardly noticed their peers standing up and leaving the room.
Martin clapped his hands to get their attention. "Hey girls, you kind of need to leave the classroom now. I know my lessons are absolutely fantastic, but unfortunately you do have to go home."
"Oh, uh... right!" Sarah stuttered. She and Maya hastily gathered their things and scurried out of the room before Martin could lock them in.
"Wow, today went quick..." Sarah mused, making her way through the corridor. "Do you remember... anything we just learned or..." She then noticed that Maya was still standing by the door. She hadn't moved an inch. "Uh... you alright back there?"
"Did that actually... happen?" Maya muttered.
"Did what happen?"
"Martin called us girls. He... he called me a girl and he doesn't even know!"
"Oh shoot, you're right. He did say that."
Maya leaned her head back against the wall. "Wow... wow wow WOW! That felt amazing!"
"Yay! Gender euphoria!"
"I feel like I could take on the world... or maybe two worlds! In fact, this might be the boost I need to come out to my parents!"
"Wait, what? You haven't told your parents you're trans yet?"
    "Huh? Of course I haven't told them. Didn't you realise?"
"I had no idea! I thought they'd have been the people you told first."
Maya frowned, breaking eye contact and looking out the nearby window. "You don't know what they're like, do you? I guess you've only ever met them a few times."
"Yeah... I think it was actually only one time... Come to think of it, we usually always meet at my house. I wonder why that is..."
"Probably because it's for the best..." Maya folded her arms and clenched her teeth. "They don't understand people like us. Especially my mother. I still want to tell them, but I'm not sure how they'd react... what they'd do... I've always felt much closer to you and Lillian. That's why I told you first."
"Okay, yikes. They do sound difficult to talk to... It's best to approach things carefully then. Wait until you're ready."
  "I don't think I'll ever be ready, but... I dunno, I guess today has potential thanks to Martin."
"Well, you know where to find me and Lillian if they do turn out to be completely worthless human beings. I will grant you shelter from the vicious beasts if need be, young warrior!"
Maya burst out laughing. "Sure thing. Thank you for your service, o' gracious tavern keeper."
    "Mmm... I was thinking more along the lines of a kind old witch with a hut enchanted to keep monsters out, but tavern keeper is fine too," Sarah said.
    Maya smiled and rolled her eyes.