Chapter Twenty-Four: Coping

21st Precinct

Monday found Voight sitting in his office looking decidedly gloomy as he put away his cell phone. The call from Halstead had been disquieting to say the least. He had expected to find the younger man in the office first thing this morning chomping at the bit to get back to work. Instead the Detective had stated he needed to take some personal days, a rarity in itself. Considering however he had just been away from work for two weeks the timing ratcheted up the Sergeants' concern. Sure when he had initially informed the younger man he was going to have to take vacation days he had been met with resistance but it had been relatively easy to get his acquiescence in the end. Voight had taken the acceptance of the forced time off as confirmation of how beleaguered his youngest Unit member was. Now however instead of being relieved he was more worried than ever. A knock preceded by the door opening had him glaring at the intruder.

"This a bad time?" Al asked as he promptly walked in and sat down without waiting for a response.
"You're meant to knock then wait to be invited in," Voight pointed out.
"Oookkkaaaay," the moustached man sat up straighter, losing any jovility, "what's up?"
"Halstead isn't coming in."
"Why not?"
"Said he needed to take some personal days."
"After two weeks off work?"
"Yeah."
"You said it was okay?"
"The Kid never asks for anything I could hardly day no," Voight admitted unhappily.
"So what's going on with him?"
"Al!"
"Okay, okay," the veteran Detective put his hands up placatingly knowing the question was a daft one given Jays' propensity for not sharing, "so what do we do?"
"Give him a few days and hope he comes back."

Al didn't like the inference behind those words. His old friend was obviously seriously worried the young man was going to walk away and Al shared the same concern. The depressing truth was that they couldn't blame the Kid if he opted to walk away. He had been under immense pressure over a prolonged period that no one could really comprehend. Sure as Law Enforcement Officers they all dealt with the pressure that came with the job but Halstead had been dealt blow after blow for months on end in addition to the usual stress that was part and parcel of being a Cop so it was a logical assumption he might actively consider leaving for good. Such an eventuality had of course been broached before but Al feared this time there were even more extenuating circumstances that might compel that outcome. A Serial Killers' open ended threat from the grave for one.

----------------------------------

Boatyard

Jay wiped the sweat from his brow. For the past couple of days he had thrown himself into the physical labour required to renovate the current boat Kelly was working on. He had come to appreciate the Firefighters' enjoyment of the endeavour even if his heart wasn't really in it at the moment. Concentrating on the various tasks he was allotted the Detective had succeeded in banishing the latest unwelcome childhood memory to the background of his mind even as he was able to vent some anger towards his paternal tormentor through hammer and nail. On his part Kelly had been delighted when Jay had accepted his suggestion. It was clear there was something eating at his friend but he had decided to simply be his companion instead of Inquisitor hoping he might open up about what was weighing on his mind on his own accord. Of course Kelly wasn't naive and knew the chances of that happening were slim. It didn't stop him hoping however. Looking over at the man in question he spoke up as he took off his safety goggles and put down the chain saw he had been using.

"You sure about working on this another couple of days?"
"Yeah," Jay assured firmly as he continued standing down the section of wood he had chosen as his next project.
"Voight didn't mind you taking extra time off?" the Firefighter had been surprised by the offer to continue helping.
"Nope."
"Well okay then," Kelly grinned, he wasn't about to push the matter if his friend wanted to spend time on the boat, "what say we finish up for now and get breakfast? On me."
"If you're paying I have to see it!" the Detective tossed back cheekily, he appreciated not been grilled about his reluctance to return to work.