Chapter Seven

Enzo sits on the bottom step of the staircase as the three of them walk into the flat, John hanging his jacket on a hook as Sherlock puts his coat over the bannister "Okay, that was ridiculous

Enzo sits on the bottom step of the staircase as the three of them walk into the flat, John hanging his jacket on a hook as Sherlock puts his coat over the bannister "Okay, that was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever done." John says as he and Sherlock lean against the wall to catch their breath. "And you invaded Afghanistan." Sherlock tells him. "That wasn't just me." John laughs, Sherlock and Enzo joining in. "Why aren't we back at the restaurant?" John asks. "Oh, they can keep an eye out. It was a long shot anyway." Sherlock responds, waving his hand dismissively. "So what were we doing there?" John asks him in confusion. Sherlock clears his throat "Oh, just passing the time. And proving a point." Sherlock responds, looking at John. "What point?" John asks. "You. Mrs Hudson! Doctor Watson will take the room upstairs." Sherlock calls at the end. "Says who?" John frowns. "Says the man at the door." Enzo pipes up, going to stand up but stumbling slightly. Someone knocks on the door as Sherlock steadies Enzo, checking him over "'M fine Sherlock." Enzo waves him off as John opens the door. "Sherlock texted me. He said you forgot this." Angelo tells John with a smile, holding up John's walking stick. John stares at the cane in surprise before taking it "Ah. Er, thank you. Thank you." John tells him, looking at the brothers who smile.

Mrs Hudson comes out of her flat and rushes over to the boys, looking upset and tearful "Sherlock, Enzo, what have you done?" she asks the brothers. "Mrs Hudson?" Sherlock asks in concern. "Upstairs." she tells them, Enzo jumping up and running upstairs with Sherlock on his heels. John catches up with them as they reach the door and open it, finding Lestrade sat in Sherlock's chair as officers search the rest of the flat "What are you doing?" Sherlock asks. "Well, I knew you'd find the case. I'm not stupid." Lestrade tells him. Enzo frowns slightly "You can't just break into our flat." Sherlock retorts. "And you can't withhold evidence. And I didn't break into your flat." Lestrade says. "Well, what do you call this then?" Sherlock asks. "It's a drugs bust." Lestrade responds. "Seriously?! These guys, junkies?! Have you met them?!" John exclaims. "John..." Enzo mumbles, biting his lip nervously. "I'm pretty sure you could search this flat all day, you wouldn't find anything you could call recreational." John tells Lestrade. "John, you probably want to shut up now." Sherlock tells John quietly. "Yeah, but come on..." John trails off, seeing the looks he's getting from the brothers "No." he says. "What?" Sherlock asks. "You?" he asks. "Shut up!" Sherlock tells him, turning to Lestrade "We're not your sniffer dogs." he tells the detective. "No, Anderson's my sniffer dog." Lestrade tells them, nodding towards the kitchen. "What, An... Anderson, what are you doing here on a drugs bust?" Sherlock asks angrily, turning to the kitchen.

Anderson opens the door and waves sarcastically "Oh, I volunteered." he tells the brothers. Enzo clenches his fists, pulling his jacket round himself more as Sherlock turns away from Anderson "They all did. They're not strictly speaking on the drugs squad, but they're very keen." Lestrade tells the brothers. Donovan comes into view from the kitchen, holding a small glass jar "Are these human eyes?" she asks. "Put those back!" Sherlock tells her. "They were in the microwave!" Sally exclaims. "It's an experiment." Sherlock retorts. "Keep looking, guys." Lestrade tells the drugs bust team, standing up and walking over to the brothers "Or you could help us properly and I'll stand them down." he tells them. "This is childish." Sherlock retorts. "Well, I'm dealing with children. Enzo, Sherlock, this is our case. I'm letting you in, but you do not go off on your own. Clear?" Lestrade asks. "Oh, what, so-so-so you set up a pretend drugs bust to bully us?" Sherlock asks him. "It stops being pretend if they find anything." Lestrade tells him, Enzo putting his hands in his pockets. "I am clean!" Sherlock exclaims. "Is your flat? All of it?" Lestrade counters. "I don't even smoke." Sherlock tells him, unbuttoning his sleeve and rolling it up to show a nicotine patch. "Neither do I." Lestrade tells him, copying his actions to reveal his own nicotine patch. Enzo leans against the wall, closing his eyes as he tries to block the noise out. Sherlock rolls his eyes and turns away as they both pull their sleeves back down again "So let's work together." Lestrade tells them.