Chapter Fifty-Four: Signed, Sealed, Sister

"La plage à Pourville, soleil couchant" (Beach in Pourville) by Claude Monet (1882), stolen in 2000, during the theft the painting was cut out of its frame and replaced with a copy painted on cardboard, recovered in 2010 through fingerprints and evidence left at the scene - value >$1 million

Chapter Fifty-Four

May 17th

Dear Eleanor,

I thought I should remind you I don't know what villa you're headed to next. Make sure to send your new address (or just go somewhere that has internet and send me an email? Just a thought). Don't forget.

Mom and Dad have been asking about you. They want to know when you're coming back. I told them I don't know, but I also pointed out it isn't uncommon for people to go on trips around Europe for several months. That was all they needed before they got distracted—you're welcome. But it caused Mom to launch into stories about Rebecca Suntner (remember that bitch from high school?) and how she did a whole tour in Europe last summer for wedding venues, and when will I get married, etc. Dad said it was more likely you were looking at art over there, like you always used to do, and when will you learn, etc. Blah blah blah. He got a little green when mom started listing wedding plans she's apparently already made for our future weddings. Yeah, I did, too.

On that note, Scott and I are moving in together. I can hear you already. I know, I know. But hear me out—oh wait, I don't need to explain myself to you. Love you! Thanks for the support!

Also, I went to lunch with Lena last week. You won't believe the news! She's decided to leave the show! I'm sure the news will break as soon as her agent gets it through the network's heads, but I couldn't believe it. She says she doesn't want to play a role anymore, or at least not one that isn't actually known to be a role. Honestly, I think she wants to do movies next. We'll see. After that, I asked her how August was. She said he was good and got a little quiet. I know you haven't talked to him since you left, but I think he's gone full 'Whitehill Enterprises' now. Before you ask, yes, they're still together. And yes, the museum is fine. Great, actually. Thriving, even. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Whitehill retires even earlier than expected to hand the reins to August. But overall, I think August seems okay, he's just different. I know he misses you. If you ask me, I think you should call them. Lena doesn't understand what happened with you. August won't talk about it, not even to her. You know him—he'll take your secrets to the grave.

On a lighter note, I'm almost done with my first year of grad school. It sucks. I love it.

I'm also mailing you an article I printed out about him, per your request. I didn't stalk him or anything, but from what I see online, he's fine. The company's fine. They're working with some movie star now. So don't get all weird.

But I still don't understand what happened. Honestly, I don't think you do, either. Why can't you just call him? This whole thing is a little ridiculous (and I swear I won't say 'I told you so', but c'mon... do I even have to?).

I actually went to Whitehill a few days ago with Scott to see the new romanticism exhibit, since the analysis of grief one closed. It was on a Tuesday, so I looked for the women with the daisy-embroidered bag like you asked. I don't know whether it's good or bad, but I didn't see her. I even asked a security guard. He said she doesn't come around anymore. I guess she doesn't need to. Honestly, I wonder if she ever went to that exhibit after the painting disappeared. I know you said she never used to go in that room because of it being in there, but when it disappeared, do you think she ever went in? I think about her sometimes. What I don't think about is her asshole of a grandson. Thank god he's gone!

Alright, my hand is tired. Love you. Don't get lost. Make good decisions. Don't drink all of the aperol (I'd like to drink some when I visit, you know). Hope you're having passionate affairs with beautiful men on white sandy beaches. Hope you're not being a weirdo about art.

Love,

Carrie

P.S. Stamps do not cost what I thought they would??

P.S. Part II. I miss you, Ellie. I know we knew this would be hard, but I didn't expect you to leave. I hope I see you soon. I love you.

P.S. Part III. I mailed it to him, exactly when you said. I hope you made the right decision. I hope he will, too. You love him, don't you?

 You love him, don't you?