Bonfire

Letty's POV

Letty's POV

It's been two weeks since Paul and I broke up. In some ways, things are better. We no longer have any secrets. He even told me about vampires being real. He had me promise to stay on Quileute land. So that he and the pack would always be able to protect Mason & I. We're making a little progress with being friends. But it still hurts, knowing we'll never be together again. Or grow old together.

Leah and I have gotten closer. We're now best friends. Because we understand each others pain. We've had a couple of girl nights. Where I let Paul look after Mason for a few hours. He hasn't had him for a night yet. I just want to know that he is prepared and make sure there is no risk of him having to go on patrol due to a new vampire sighting. There hasn't been any in three weeks.

Anyway, Paul invited me to a pack bonfire tonight. Apparently, my grandfather thought it'd be good for me to hear the tribes history. As I would one day be a council member. As I know, the tribes most guarded secret. I agreed to go and decided to bring Mason. I made sure we were both rugged up before going to the bonfire with Quil.

"I'm glad you came," Paul says with a small smile.

"I need to know the history if I am going to be on the council one day," I state.

"You make an amazing council member. Especiailly once you become a doctor, " he states.

"You remember," I say with a small smile.

"Of course I do," he says with a smile.

"Paul!" a feminine voice calls. Paul curses as we turn to see a girl in her early twenties heading towards us. My eyes narrow as she stands beside Paul. "Jake said you'd be here," she says with a smile. "You must be his girlfriend. Letty, Paul has told me so much about you," she states. "Oh my god, is this Mason? He's adorable, " she says, smiling at him.

"Who are you?" I demand holding Mason closer.

"Rachel!" Jacob shouts and runs over. "I told you to wait while I got dad," he states.

"I'm leaving," I snap.

"I swear, I didn't know she'd be here, Letty," Paul says desperately.

"It's true," Rachel states. "My dad invited me, said Paul would be here. I wanted to know why he's been avoiding and hadn't introduced us as he promised, " she explains.

"I want nothing to do with the woman who ruined my life," I sneer. "If you had stayed away and never came back. Paul and I would still be together, " I state.

"You two broke up?"she asks, surprised.

"Yes, and it's all your fault!" I snap. "So stay the hell away from me and my son," I tell her. I stalk away and go sit beside Quil. Who wraps his arm around my shoulders. Paul sits by himself while Rachel sits with Jacob. She looks very confused about what just happened. But I don't care.

"The Quileute have been a small tribe from the beginning. But we have always had magic in our blood. We were great spirit warriors, shape-shifter's that transformed into the powerful wolf. This enabled us to scare off our enemies and protect our tribe" Billy starts to tell the history of our tribe.

He goes on to tell us the tale of when the tribe first encountered vampires. Or cold ones as the tribe call them. About the sacrifice of the third wife that saved the tribe from a vengeful vampire woman. That the warriors' strong teeth were able to rip the cold ones apart. But only fire could destroy them completely.

Sam then told us about the difference between older vampires and freshly turned vampires. That are stronger and faster than older ones. How they don't really think when fighting and relay mostly on instinct. He even told us how some vampires can have special abilities like mind reading, emotion manipulation, and other things. That it was thought to be a myth until earlier this year. It shows how important it is that this knowledge be pasted on future generations. Maybe I'll write a book.

The bonfire was nice. I enjoyed learning about the tribe history. Though I could have lived without the story of imprints and how special they are to a pack. It just made me want to scream and cry. Anyway, Paul approached me cautiously after the bonfire. While Quil went to start the car with a sleeping Mason in his arms.

"I swear, I didn't know she'd be here," Paul assures.

"It doesn't change the fact that she is," I retort. "This is the last she'll be anywhere near Mason," I tell him. He nods his head. "How come you've been avoiding her? I thought you'd jump at the chance to be with your imprint, " I sneer.

"That'd only hurt you. Besides, she only me as a friend," he states. "I also feel some resentment towards her. As she is the reason I broke your heart. But I also know one day we will be together, just not in the near future, " he explains.

"Thank you" I say.

"I'm still invited to Mason's birthday, right?" Paul asks.

"Of course, you're his father. But Rachel isn't invited. Make sure she knows that, " I tell him. He nods his head. "And stop being a bad friend to her. It isn't fair to either of you. I can see the effect it's having on you, avoiding her. Mason needs his father in good health to protect him, " I state.

"Ok" he says.

"Will Mason ever turn?" I ask him.

"Unlikely, Seth was the youngest to shift at 14. It's unlikely anyone else will. Unless more leeches cross our land, " he states. I nod my head, grateful that I won't have to worry about Mason fighting vampires. Like I do, Paul. He hugs me. "I really am sorry, Letty, but I promise you will find someone new one day," he assures me.

"I doubt it, but thank you," I tell him. "Becareful on patrol," I add.

"Always am," he states. We said goobye, I left with Quil. Once we got home, I put Mason to bed and got ready for bed. Calling it an early night.

A/N

Picture above of bonfire and picture in chapter of Rachel Black.