Chapter Twenty

Lord Carleton did not enjoy the next two days. He felt restless as he finalised the affairs he had set in motion and fretted over what Frances was up to in London. He still felt too uncomfortable to face Squire Herbert yet, and he actively avoided his company. Nor were things comfortable at home. Mrs Madden was very formal in her dealings with him and kept out of his way as much as possible, he was obviously still in her bad books.

His cousin Theo's return to Chatswood on his way home from York provided a welcome reprieve from the awkward atmosphere, at least until he was drawn surreptitiously aside by Mrs Madden. Theo was several years older than his cousin Richard, and the proud father of a young family. He had kept a patriarchal eye on Richard over the years and had scarcely seen anything to cause him more than a moment's anxiety and he really could not believe what Mrs Madden had told him. Richard was a grown man and he hesitated to say something to put his back up but it was too important a matter to let pass. He decided to tackle him privately after dinner.

It did not take Carleton long to realise someone, most likely Maddy, had told his cousin about Frances. Theo kept looking sideways at him and lapsing into uneasy silences, interspersed with forced conversation throughout the meal. Finally, the port was brought in and Theo said self consciously, "Got something to talk to you about, Richard."

"Yes?" queried his host invitingly.

"Not here, privately."

Carleton raised an eyebrow and said smoothly, "By all means, Theo. Let us retire to the study."

Both men seated themselves near the small fire and when Williams had carried in the decanter, Carleton dismissed him and turned to his cousin, "Problems at home, Theo?" he asked politely.

"What?" spluttered his harassed guest. "Devil take it, Richard! You know perfectly well what I need to talk to you about. What's this I hear from Maddy? I could scarce make head or tail of it!"

Carleton stared at him expressionlessly and for a moment Theo thought he wasn't going to answer him. "Maddy has been a great deal too busy!"

"'Tis only because she cares about you. Come on, Richard, don't poker up on me, what have you been up to?"

Suddenly Carleton sighed, "It sounds like a real Canterbury tale when I put it in words. I invited a recent acquaintance, a friend even, to stay with me, who was masquerading as a man but she was actually a woman, it took me some time to find that out."

Theo looked at him in total disbelief.

Carleton could not help laughing at the expression on his face. "Don't look at me like that, Theo, I am not a complete gudgeon. She managed to fool Jack Lambert and several other men of my acquaintance as well as me. She is an excellent shot with a pistol, and her sword fighting is not contemptible."

Theo realised he was gaping like a stuffed fish, "How did you meet?" he managed.

"I was being attacked by three men in the street and she saved me from losing my purse if not my life. She shot one of them in the arm." Theo did not like the admiration he heard in Richard's voice.

"You don't think it was ...?" he paused delicately.

"A scam?" answered Richard cheerfully. "No, I did wonder of course, afterwards, but I don't see how it could have been. It was only by merest chance that I was in that street at all."

"What was she doing here?" asked Theo, then suddenly flushed red, "I mean-"

"No," interrupted Richard, "it was not like that. As I said, she was here as a friend, and that is all, nothing else, Theo."

His cousin looked sceptical, "That's as maybe, Richard, but do you think anyone will believe it? Anyone else I mean?" he added hastily, seeing the frown forming on Richard's face.

"Well I don't intend to announce it to the world! In any case," he continued with studied composure, "I've offered to marry her."

Theo stared in such horror that Richard was torn between being deeply offended and going off into whoops of laughter.

"You don't need to worry, she ran away rather than take up my offer," he looked down at his waistcoat and brushed off a crumb. "More port? Or would you prefer brandy?"

Theo was speechless for a moment. It looked as if it might be worse than he had thought, Richard was obviously taken with the wench. "Eh? Oh brandy thanks."

"Will you see her again?" he ventured. "Do you know who is she?"

"I don't know," answered Carleton obscurely. "A relation of the Murrays I gather. She called herself Peter Francis when I met her." He took a sip of brandy. "I am going back to London tomorrow. Will you come with me or are you planning to stay here a few more days?"

"I will stay another day, my horses need the rest," Theo replied reluctantly, realising the subject was closed. He wondered whether he should change his plans and accompany Richard to keep an eye on him and make sure he did not do anything foolish.

Lord Carleton was up early the next morning, eager to be on his way and left immediately after he had breakfasted and made his farewells to Theo, forestalling any attempt to accompany him.