Chapter 12

I winced as another one of our players was put out of action by the Abomination as the kids called the giant well over 6-foot kid playing for the opposing team. He'd knocked out so many of our players that, I realised sourly as I scanned the bench, we were down a player, meaning we'd have to forfeit.

I was surprised when we didn't though. I was even more surprised when Boyd walked onto the field, a lacrosse stick in hand. My head whipped to the crowd where I found Erica watching worriedly, but there was no Isaac to be found.

I shoved down the disappointment, because now was not the time, and focused on the game. Having a newly transformed werewolf play a violent game like this was not a good idea, and I only hoped that Scott would be able to contain him.

I watched with a sense of horror as Boyd and the Abomination went head-to-head. They ran at each other, kicking up dirt as they went, and collided with a thud. Everyone watched on as the Abomination was thrown backwards by the force of the impact, flying through the air before landing on the ground roughly.

He didn't get back up.

The people on the stands cheered, voicing their approval as they stood up and waved their arms. I, as well as Allison and Gerard, stayed seated, because the Abomination didn't look too good as his teammates helped him hobble off the field.

The game continued, with Scott doing his best to take the ball from Boyd every chance he got. He'd just scored another goal, everyone cheering, when a teammate of the opposing team came at him out of nowhere and shoved him to the ground.

The cheers were cut off and Allison was already racing to the field. I ran behind her, anxious to see if Scott was alright. His teammates had formed a circle around him as Allison and I pushed our way through, kneeling down next to Scott as we scanned his body for injuries. I gagged when I saw his leg, bent at an awkward angle.

"I'm fine," Scott panted through gritted teeth. "I'm healing. Where's the book?"

Allison glanced at her phone, where a text from Stiles lit up the screen. "It's not in the office. It's got to be at the house."

"Scott, your leg," I whispered, watching in utter horror as it slowly moved back to its normal placement, sickening cracks following the action. "Oh my god your leg is broken."

"Not for long," Scott muttered as he sat upright, using Allison and I to help him get to his feet.

Coach ran into the circle, looking panicked, followed by a woman who could only be Scott's mum. She had curly black hair and the same brown eyes as Scott, her forehead creased in concern as she stared at Scott.

"It's okay, it's okay, I'm fine," Scott assured them.

Scott's mother looked him up and down in wonder. "I could have sworn I heard bone breaking from where I sat."

"Heard it, I felt it," Coach said.

Scott shook his head, pasting on a smile. "Seriously guys, I'm fine."

Allison left Scott's side, beckoning me to follow as she went up to Gerard. "We should go," she told him.

"Hold on," Gerard said. "I want to ask him one more thing."

We all waited with bated breath to see what he asked. I clutched Allison's hand tightly, throat bobbing as I stared at the back of Gerard's head. Surely he wouldn't do anything incriminating to Scott in front of all these people?

It turned out worse than I thought. Gerard had invited him for dinner.

. . .

We all sat down at the table, eating dinner quietly. Victoria and Chris had been none too pleased to discover Scott had been invited over for dinner, no doubt because they knew about his true nature. Nevertheless they kept their mouths shut as they ate, shoulders tense and movements stiff.