CHAPTER 12

R U D R A N S H

Rudransh met his father-in-law every day at the palace. The conversations that ensued were mostly about the kingdom and on the rare occasion, it was about Lasya. That was how it had always been, so he was positively taken aback when Haridas Singhania approached him regarding his younger brother's marital prospects with a kid in his arms.

He had to check to make sure that he had heard him right. Shockingly, he had. "Prithvi's marriage? What's the hurry?"

"His Highness is eighteen, Your Majesty. It's the right time to start looking for prospects to strengthen our ties with other kingdoms."

Rudransh frowned. Strengthen their ties with other kingdoms? Prithvi would unhesitatingly abandon his royalty status if anyone dared to approach him with the idea. He had dealt with enough bullshit since his birth. Rudransh wouldn't let him tolerate this on top of all that. "He's my brother, Haridas. I'm not going to pressure him into marrying someone for the kingdom's sake. We have other ways to do that."

The man smiled like he knew something Rudransh didn't. "I understand, Your Majesty. However, I don't think His Highness is going to oppose this alliance. I'm aware that you have your suspicions, but trust me on this."

Haridas was right. He did have his suspicions, but the Welfare Minister had never given him a reason to doubt him, so he wasn't going to start now. Curiosity got the better of him though, especially since he said that Prithvi wouldn't oppose. "Who do you have in mind?"

"Princess Nila from the southern kingdom of Suryalayam."

His eyebrows furrowed. Suryalayam was one of the strongest kingdoms in the land with an abundance of resources. They had the strongest military in the South and Rudransh had a good relationship with their king. King Veerarajan was one of the most honest and brave men that he had ever encountered. Princess Nila was the apple of his eye.

"Why her?" he heard himself asking.

"I have a few reasons." Haridas smiled as he cradled the shy kid. "Firstly, she's from the South. They don't follow superstitions without reason, so Prince Prithvi's rumoured misfortune won't mean anything to them. Secondly, Princess Nila is a warrior princess. I believe that she'll be the perfect match for His Highness. Thirdly, the princess is as beautiful as the moon. They were the prince's words, not mine. His Highness saw her portrait when I was going through them."

Rudransh couldn't hide his amusement. Prithvi said that? His stoic younger brother? Oh, this was interesting indeed. "I'll draft a letter to King Veerarajan myself asking if Princess Nila is okay with the alliance. We'll let Prithvi know once she agrees."

"A smart decision as always, Your Majesty."

A little more flattery and Rudransh's ego would implode. It was a good thing that he had Lasya by his side. She humbled him better than anyone else. He looked at the kid hiding his face in his father-in-law's neck. "Who is this, Haridas?"

The minister chuckled when the kid buried his face further. "This is Naksh, my grandson. He's the son of my first daughter, Samanvitha. He has always been shy, Your Majesty, so don't take offence to his behaviour. The only person who can get him to warm up to other people is Lasya, but she's talking to her sister now."

Rudransh nodded, smiling when Naksh turned slightly to look at him. He immediately turned away, making him chuckle. "He's adorable."

Haridas coaxed his grandson to remove his head from his neck and look at him. "Do you want to go to His Majesty? He's your mausi's husband."

Naksh turned to him curiously.

Rudransh smiled as he held his arms open. It had been a long time since he held a child in his arms. The last child he held was five-year-old Veda. She had been extremely talkative at that age as well, but he loved listening to her. Prithvi did too. "I can get you your favourite sweet and then we can find your mausi. How does that sound?"