Chapter One

I listened to my Walkman while lying in bed, and I could still hear Patrick yelling at me

I listened to my Walkman while lying in bed, and I could still hear Patrick yelling at me. I felt him grab the headphones and curse at me, and my heart began to race. I was experiencing such intense terror that it was hurting my tender heart. My blood was starting to get cold. What was happening? Why does it still feel like there are fractures and cuts in the flesh? I could still taste the blood in my mouth as they tugged at my delicate scalp. I dream that I keep pushing Patrick away from me because I know that his belt will hit me. Goosebumps made my hair stand up like particles. My whole body shook as if I were having a seizure.

"Elora?" A voice muffled.

"Answer me, you little brat!"

With his hand, Patrick slaps me across the face.

"Elora?!"

I opened my eyes to find Dad standing there, visibly shaken. I could feel the beads of sweat gathering on my forehead. He cupped his powerful hands around my face while my heart continued to pound from the nightmare.

"Dad?"

He gives me a hug. "It's just a nightmare; it's okay."

"It looked so real." I covered up all the sobbing with my father's shoulder. "He seems to be hurting me even now."

"He's in jail with his sick wife, and he won't hurt you again."

Even if he is right, it still doesn't make me feel any better about the days when I was just twelve and begged for my family's love. Aunt Paige and Uncle Atticus were there to assist me when needed. They frequently contacted my father to check on how I was doing. He'd hand me the phone so I might reach them. Although I'm no longer a member of their family, it's good that they still keep in touch with me. They would always be my family, to the very beat of my own warm, beating heart. I even inquired as to how Josh was doing, and they replied that he had already returned to his previous home and enrolled in college. He plans to pursue a career in engineering after graduation. I only have until I am a senior to decide whether to attend college or a university.