14

2022

It had been a few hours and every hour so far, Pablo and Melissa had been taking turns checking on the young girl, who just slept then woke up then slept again.
Her fever had stayed the same which Melissa hated but she was glad it didn't rise.
Pablo had another go with the two year old with the medicine, Melissa even went out to buy a different flavor but she would spit it out.
Now they both sat on their couch, quietly the only sound the sound of the quiet static coming from Estela's old baby monitor Pablo had reset up just in case she wakes up and calls for them.
Pablo glances at the girl next to him who stared at black screen of the TV.
He could tell she was frustrated because Estela didn't want to take the medicine.
He wraps an arm around her, pulling her to his chest which she didn't hesitate to melt into.
The laid like that in silence. Pablo running his fingers through her hair trying to relax her.
From the baby monitor they heard a stream of coughs.
The girl stand up to go check on her but Pablo stops her.
"I got it amor" he says, kissing her temple before standing up.
"No it's my turn" she tells his always standing up, only for Pablo to gently sit her back down.
"I can do it okay?" He smiles.
Melissa nods slowly, leaning back into the couch as she watches Pablo disappear up the stairs.
From the monitor, she hears Pablo soft voice talking to Estela.
There's a moment of silence before she hears him mumble "fuck"
"Amor, her fever raised" he says through the monitor.
'Fuck'
Melissa stands up quickly, heading to the kitchen and grabbing a icepack and a rag.
Heading up to the stairs, she walks in her room to see Pablo sitting at Estela's feet.
She places the icepack on her forehead before turning to Pablo.
"call the doctor" she tells him.
He nods standing up and walking out of the room.
Melissa didn't want to take her to the doctors but she refused to take the medicine and her fever wasn't getting any better.
Melissa pick up her daughter, resting her on her lap.
"Mami I feel yuck" the little girl mumbles.
Melissa looks sadly at the girl. "I know bebe"
Pablo walks back into the room, telling Melissa that the doctor told him that they should head to the emergency room.
With that, he picks up his daughter carefully, quickly gathering their things and the small family make their way out of their home and too that hospital.

Once they make it to the hospital, they head inside and sign Estela in, only to getting told to wait.
After a couple of minutes a nurse took them to a room where a doctor started Estela on medication.
They told the couple that she should be fine but they wanted to keep her to make sure her fever to go up anymore.

Pablo comes back into the room after having to take a phone call and not wanting to wake up his daughter.
"She has the flu" Pablo cringes at what his girlfriend said.
He sits down
Next to her as she rest her head on his shoulders

.
.

It had been a few more hours and the doctor told them they we good to take Estela home.
Once at home Estela laid on her parents bed watching TV with her Dad as her mom made food.
Pablo ran his fingers gently through her wavy hair as she sipped on her water.
"Papi, I want to go to game" she mumbles.
The dad leans closer to his daughter not catching what she said.
"Hm?"
"I go to your game" she says again.
Pablo chuckles and gently ruffles her hair. "Yeah, of course bebe you can go to papa's game" he tells her.
She smiles at her dad before leaning onto her him.

A/n: short one cause why not