Chapter 2

Reese

"That can't be right," the newcomer growled, eyes narrowed on me.

Refusing to look away, I met his gaze. His pale blue eyes studied me, my snarl, my stance, my refusal to bow to his lead alpha's command. It was still floating through the air, but I ignored it. "You may be right, Soren," he finally admitted. There was awe in his tone.

Sounds of wolves, agitated animals, filled the air around me. I was used to this kind of reception. It was actually filled with less teeth and aggression than normal. The brown wolf who I'd fought before moved closer to my spot, pulling my attention to him.

The leader—the other had said his name was Soren barked out names. "Go around. See where that tunnel lets out."

The brown wolf and his cadre instantly complied, running up over the hill behind me. He was clearly the quickest in this pack and Soren knew it. I couldn't follow, but wasn't worried. We'd investigated that tunnel. The best way to find where it let out was to go inside and to do that, they'd have to get through me. Going over the hill was a complete waste of time. They'd never find the exit.

I may be woefully outnumbered, but I would put up enough of a fight that my girls would have the time they needed. Even as we sat here in a standoff they got further away from us and closer to the perfect hidey hole I'd found when we first got here.

Why these alphas weren't attacking me yet was a mystery. My father wouldn't have hesitated. Still, I didn't shift to ask. That would take away my advantage. I was much bigger and stronger in wolf form and could handle their attacks much easier. Especially by backing into the tunnel, where their numbers would work against them. Only one or two could fit at a time.

The dirt shifted under my paws as the walls of the tunnel arched over me, creating a natural choke point. I'd left just enough room for one wolf at a time. If they attacked as a group, I was finished, but this way there was hope.

I shook out my rust color coat, itching to get this over with. But that was stupid. I needed to stall. Knowing that didn't help the nerves that were like a live wire within me. I was far too aware of the two men and the third wolf standing in front of me.

The huge mountain of a wolf standing nearby stalked forward, eyes on me.

"Atlas," Soren warned. The hulking gray wolf showed his teeth, but stepped aside.

I perked up, ready for the upcoming fight. At least it was something to do instead of waiting while emotions I couldn't name swirled inside my chest.

Most of the wolves stayed sitting, watching, as the three larger wolves spread out in front of me. They had the opportunity to overpower me with sheer numbers, but were choosing not to?

Doubt flickered in my chest and I wondered if maybe the reputation these wolves had as vicious killers was wrong. Maybe they weren't like my father and the other numerous males we'd run from. They were making this almost a fair fight—even as a pack of coveted females fled from them. Well, it wasn't technically fair. I'd never seen wolves as big as they were—not even alphas.

My eyes flicked back and forth watching the three wolves as they spread out further, blocking me inside the mouth of the tunnel. That was fine. I wasn't leaving it.

Soren darted in at me, shifting mid attack, shocking me with his speed. Something that big shouldn't be able to move so quickly.

I yipped in surprise, barely dodging a bite to my left hind leg as he lunged past my defenses. I spun and snapped at him, not surprised when he danced agilely away. There was a doggy grin on his face and it made me want to bite him. This was life and death and this asshole was treating it like a game.