Chapter Thirteen: Such Great Heights

Saylor's POV:

I watch as Emerson walks out the door, my heart aching as she exits. I don't know why I'm struggling so much. I pushed her away? This is what we have to do. We can't get so involved, yet it's all I want.

Hearing her talk tonight was the most in depth conversations I've ever heard her have and my family adores her. They've never been this engaged with anyone I brought home, friend or significant other.

She's so different from Hadley... so different from anyone in my usual crowd.

"She's a good girl." My mom comments as they start to clean up the mess in the kitchen.

"Yeah, you should invite her over more." My dad suggests.

"As if she'd ever come back after how much of an ass Saylor was." My sister comments.

A pit forms in my stomach from the guilt of being so harsh and dismissive towards her. She's not going to come over again with how I act, but I knew that.

My sister walks over to me and whispers in my ear, "I hope you can handle her finding someone else because you just completely blew your shot with her. Someone like her doesn't stay single for long and don't come to me to complain when she finds someone else."

"Why are you being such a dick?" I ask sternly.

Sydni scoffs, "I'm the dick? Look at how you treated her. You leaned in to kiss her, don't punish her."

My eyes well with tears of frustration from knowing what I did was wrong and Sydni's harshness. Sydni quickly realizes she cut deeper than she intended as her expression softens and her demeanor changes.

"You should seriously apologize to her. You don't have to be friends, but it's not fair to treat her that way." Sydni adds, her tone softening.

I sigh as I shake my head and my stomach won't stop aching. I feel like I fucked up... I know I fucked up and I don't want Emerson to think I'm a bad person. I think it would eat at me if she hated me.

"You're right." I say softly, running to the door to put on my shoes and coat before Emerson can leave.

I abruptly open the door, Emerson's eyes widening as they look my way and I quickly make my way over to her.

"Hey, princess." She says, causing my heart to flutter.

"You haven't called me that all night." I state, having a hard time hiding my smile and giddiness of being around her.

"Don't tell me you missed it." Her perfect smirk appearing on her perfect face.

It's weird, but I did miss it. I know the nickname entails my ambassador title and can allude to me be rather snooty, but I know that's not Emerson's meaning when she says it. When she says it, it's supposed to be endearing and honestly, it feels right coming from her.

"I'm sorry... for how I acted in there." I apologize, though I don't know if an apology is enough.

"It's fine, Saylor. I get it." She states, but her demeanor tells me different.

I can't seem to find the words nor am I able to work up the courage to express myself to her to get her to understand how hard this is for me as well. I don't want her to feel alone in her feelings. I don't want her to go.

"Goodnight, Saylor." She says softly, almost looking defeated and done with me.

"Do you have plans tonight?" I ask abruptly, desperately needing another moment or a couple at that.