26

GIFTED US A TRAP

                                     —THEMA—

Delphinia had advised them of the miracle that Galvinus would bestow upon them once his choice of blood-churners wed. Thema had confidence in Delphinia's Oracle ability's, but she never expected this.

The kingdom was asleep, and Thema took the time to take a nightly stroll. The trees in Verskyia were not like the ones in Ziralem. They were not purple, or magical. They were tall, green pines with a citrus scent. A rocky, dangerous road to enter the country and meet the palace was wedged between two rows of trees, leading back to the border country. Ziralem.

Before her eyes, the road shimmered, slowly, without sound, and in its place, a body of water formed. Under the darkness of night, Thema should not have been able to tell that it was water; but the strange river seemed to glow iridescently—electric blues and greens swirled beneath the water like wispy tendrils playing a game of tag.

She heard whispers, a room full of them, coming from the body of water. Hope, and peace, and—this was Galvinus blessing them. It had to have been.

The sight brought Thema to her knees, right there before the palace. A heightened sob overtook her and all she could do was bow.

Because somehow, this felt like the first part of their salvation.