06.

vol ii
chapter six

Theia is greeted earnestly by many of the members of the district's rebel forces. They're elated to have her there with them, finally.

Her father had avoided her involvement for as long as he could, not wanting to add any more pressure; she had already taken on so much since being back from the games. But he knew it was only a matter of time before she was pulled in.

They needed her. If not for her influence or spirit, then for her abilities. She was one of the greatest minds in the district and the most capable engineer. The most recent jammer editions had even been designed solely by her, and they were the best yet. There was no telling what type of marvel the girl could create for them.

That was widely understood by those in the room, who took to hurriedly showing Theia their plans and projects, wanting her input and assistance.
Though before they could get ahead of themselves, Theia had to inform them all of her impending situation—what Snow had sentenced her to.

The reaction is one of great fury, seeming to only pour gasoline on an already burning fire of hatred. They had only just been introduced to her, and she was already being stripped away from them and their cause.

She belonged with them. She knew that. Theia had never felt more at home. This was her purpose. Now that she knew this was ongoing and that there was a chance for true change to occur, she had to do everything she could to ensure its success.

"Well, you're just going to have to do what you do best and play them at their own game." Theia stills at the voice. No. It couldn't be?

She turns and feels resentment flow through her veins. "What the hell are you doing here?" She wasn't supposed to see her again.

Irene Sherman stands, a remorseful expression spreading across her face. "Theia, it's good to see you again."
It was not.

She thought she had left the Capitol's lead testing coordinator behind after she graduated from the academy.

She had practically been the woman's test subject from the age of three until sixteen. Constantly having her brain activity monitored, her own life was decided for her by the results. She didn't have an ounce of freedom in her childhood because of it.

Andreas quickly moves to stand in front of his daughter. "Theia, it's okay. You know she wouldn't be here if it wasn't for a reason." She trusts her father—of course she does; he knows what she went through—but it's hard not to feel sceptical. A Capitol lackey in an underground rebel base?

Irene Sherman knows that she owes the Marsden girl an explanation. "I joined the rebellion before your games." Theia raises an eyebrow at the statement.
"I had discovered the Capitol's plans and finally came to my senses."

"And they were?"

"To put you in the games." Theia feels her entire body go numb. "You can't have thought it was simply a coincidence that your name was pulled out?"

It's becoming harder and harder to breathe as the woman continues on.

"We had monitored you for your entire life, and the older you grew, the more dangerous you became. It was far harder to keep you restrained and in line—to not stray from what was expected. And after your mother's death, well, it was obvious that you were becoming a threat. You had an insatiable fire—a need to help everyone. And that went against the Capitol's wishes."

"The moment you turned them down for the Biotech position, you had practically signed your way into the games. All the projects you were taking on? They couldn't be completed; they would have disturbed the very fabric of their regime. So they wanted you gone."