The Alien - Chapter 2

Alien Boy

Somewhere in the blackness, I heard a voice. I felt movement. Why did I feel like I was in a boat? And what were those clunking noises?

At one point, I felt my face leaning against something warm and hard, and I felt comforted by it. I thought I saw someone I knew, looking down at me. The face was familiar, but I couldn't place it. Was it my brother? No. Too pale.

I floated. I saw stars. The vastness of space. I saw some ships approaching mine. The lights came closer and closer. They blended together and swirled and formed patterns in front of my eyes. I laughed. Well, at least I think I did.

The swirling stopped and everything was black again. More floating...

A bright light hit my closed eyes, but I couldn't move. I tried to put my hand over my eyes, but I couldn't feel my body. Where was I? What was happening? Why couldn't I move or open my eyes?

Nothing made sense. But then I felt warmth. I felt safe somehow. And that didn't make sense.

I drifted back into blackness.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

I slowly became aware that something wasn't right. This wasn't my bed. I wasn't in my ship. And I was lying on something soft.

My eyes shot open and I could see a wooden ceiling above me. The room was warm and dimly lit. My eyes travelled around the space, over the bedside drawers next to me, the dresser with a large mirror and a lantern with the flame turned down low, and a chair near the foot of the bed with an alien sitting in it, tense and alert. And then I remembered what happened.

Maybe I should've found the fact that Alien Boy was watching me sleep a bit creepy, but I didn't. I could understand his need to keep an eye on me. Those strange eyes stared at me and despite the weird colours, I liked them.

I moved my arms and legs slowly, expecting to be tied down. I wasn't. That was a relief. The fact that he wasn't pointing that primitive weapon at me again was also a relief, but I suspected that it wasn't far away. Probably within easy reach.

I tried to sit up, but a sharp pain in my head had me groaning and lying back down. The alien jumped up as if he wanted to do something to help me, but stopped himself. I laid there watching the muscles in his arms twitching, warring between caution and helping me. He wore short sleeves, so there was a lot of muscle to look at. I gave myself a mental slap.

Get it together, Lilliana.

I had to focus. Clear my foggy mind. I had to be alert.

I couldn't believe I'd passed out in front of him. He must've carried me to this room. I remembered movement and leaning my face against something warm. His chest?

My cheeks heated.

I felt around under the blankets. I still had my utility belt and it felt like I was still wearing the same clothes as before, but my boots were gone. My chest tightened, but I told myself not to panic. Of course he would've taken them off to put me in the bed.

A shiver ran down my spine. What else did he do while I was out? All sorts of horrible scenarios played out in my head and I had to stop thinking like that.

Alien Boy was starting to relax a little, but still stood in the same place, halfway to the bed. I opened my mouth to speak, but my stomach growled again — even louder than before. I was already hungry before my brain decided to shut down on me, and if I didn't get something to eat soon, it might just eat itself.