Chapter 23

Desert property of Joseph Everett, Arizona.
 May 22, 7.02pm

      Joseph Everett watched through the one-way mirror as Faye tucked Gemma into the small bed in the sparsely furnished room they were being held in. He listened as she finished telling her daughter a story.
     “The princess was very brave and didn’t cry, even though she was trapped in the magic castle.”
     “The prince is coming to save her, isn’t he, Mummy?”
     “Of course my darling, but the prince has to have adventures along the way, so he’s a bit late.”
     “What ‘ventures?”
     “Sleep time now, GemGem. I’ll tell you about the adventures tomorrow night.”
     Faye bent and kissed the little girl, stroking her hair. She turned the desk lamp away so Gemma’s face was in shadow and she could sleep. Joseph felt himself admiring her. The woman was definitely resilient, or at least hid her fear well in front of the child. After the kiln she had been brought back here and Joseph had sat watching them. She had snatched Gemma into her arms and held her tightly, burying her head in the little girl’s hair until she was pushed away by the protesting child. Then Faye’s face had cleared and she pretended that nothing had happened. It was as if she compartmentalized the experience and would not let her own terror affect her daughter.
     Joseph raised his hand to the glass and traced the shape of Faye’s face on it. She still sat on the bed looking down at Gemma, holding her little hand. He felt a pang of longing for this woman and a little girl to love. Could he have had this life if his bitch of a mother had been different? What if she had tucked her boys in and told them stories? All he could remember were insults, taunts and the filthy cupboard under the stairs, and now his own marriage was one of fear and duty, bound by the public face he wanted the world to know. But only Michael had really loved him, had told him stories in the dark, stroking his hair as Faye was doing now. What if he could take this woman for himself? Would she love him?
     He shook his head, wondering at his temporary weakness. He didn’t know how to be with a woman like that. She was nothing to him but a symbol of a life lost. Michael didn’t have a wife and child. He barely had breath left in his body but his brother was his only family. Slamming his hand against the glass, Joseph watched Faye start in surprise and fear. She instinctively bent her body, protecting her daughter as Gemma woke again and started crying. Joseph stalked from the hidden room, focused on the end-game. It was time to make plans for Pentecost.

***

You can buy this book and the rest of the ARKANE series in print, audio and ebook format at Amazon, Kobo and other online stores. You can sign up for my newsletter, follow me on Twitter, or like my Facebook page. For more information, see JFPenn.com Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!