7

The moon rose high and full, to which Evelyn let out a frustrated groan. Soon, the furs would have a free rein across Nevermore to howl and scream and play all night. Unfortunately for her, her noise-cancelling headphones had been shattered after her last experiment involving an exploding gemstone that she had to slowly and painfully piece together afterward. Already in her pyjamas, she suddenly remembered her promise to Enid and went to grab a cloak, silently cursing Jericho's slow postal service. Arnold yawned, sitting up and rubbing his eyes as he, too, remembered the time of the month. After she had her cloak on, he leapt cleanly across the room and into her front pocket.

"Your earplugs are working, aren't they?"

To which Arnold replied that he just wanted to stay with her. Evelyn chuckled and stopped suddenly.

"Is that...Cello?" She walked back into her dorm and out onto her balcony to look around. There, on the balcony of the spider web window, was a shape playing the cello. And Evelyn could recognize those pigtails anywhere.

"Of course," she chuckled. She seemed to have caught the end of it however as the solo ended a few seconds later.

Almost immediately, she heard the sound of Furs changing and howling, reminding her of her original mission.

When she arrived at Enid's dorm, her heart sank as she saw the girl still there, untransformed. She made her way out onto their balcony, causing both girls to look at her.

"I'm sorry, Enid," Evelyn said, embracing the girl in a hug as she slowly broke down.

"What happens if you don't wolf out?" Wednesday asked, watching with mild jealousy at the hug Enid had gotten from Evelyn.

"Well, I become a lone wolf," Enid said, leaning into Evelyn as she kept an arm around her.

"Sounds perfect." Wednesday stared at the empty expanse beyond her balcony.

"Not everyone likes being alone," Evelyn interjected, rubbing Enid's back as she collected herself and pulled away from her.

"I would be kicked out of my family pack—my life would be officially over! I'd have no prospect of finding a mate," Enid said, barely able to contain herself.

"I'm failing to see a problem here." Evelyn almost facepalmed at the look of genuine confusion on Wednesday's face.

"I could die alone!" Enid finally said, forcing a shocked silence to follow immediately after.

"We all die alone, Enid," Wednesday stated in an almost comically factual way.

"You are really bad at this. Cheering people up." Enid dissolved into sobs again, to which Evelyn offered her shoulder which Enid gladly took.

"Why are you crying?" Wednesday asked and that was where Evelyn's patience began to wear thin. Did Wednesday just not experience emotions?

"Because I'm upset," Enid sobbed, pushing away from Evelyn to lean against the railing. "Haven't you been upset? Or are you above that, too?"

Wednesday's expression changed to one of contemplation. And then she began to speak. "It was the week after Halloween. I was six years old and had taken my pet scorpion, Nero, out for his afternoon stroll. Then we were ambushed. They wondered what kind of freak would have a scorpion for a pet," Wednesday paused, silence permeating the air until she continued her story. "Two of them held me down while the others...while the others ran Nero over until..."

Wednesday paused again and Evelyn saw her consciously trying to keep a blank face. "It was snowing when I buried what was left of him. I cried my little black heart out but tears don't fix anything so I vowed to never do it again."