Chapter forty-nine

Alex’s POV

My phone rang, and I stared at it shocked.

“Yes?”

“Hey bro.”

“Hi.”

“Can we talk?”

“Sure.”

“Okay, I’ll come over in twenty minutes.”

“What is it, baby?” Athena spoke.

“It was Charlie. She’s coming over.”

“Oh… that’s good, right?” I shrugged, I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not. I’m not sure if I want to talk to her either, she turned into an asshole over nothing.

“Babe” I looked at her, and her eyes were full of worry. “I’m sorry for stressing you out the past few days.” Her expression shifted, and a tiny smile appeared on her lips.

“I was worried about you, I still am.”

“I’ll be okay. I just…” I sighed. “Charlie is my only friend, and I thought I lost her. I know I have you by my side, but this is too recent and we still have no idea what we are going to do when I leave for college, so losing Charlie meant that I would lose the only stable presence in my life.”

She took my hand in hers.

“And I don’t want to end up alone.” She planted a kiss on the back of my palm.

“I understand, baby.”

I planted a kiss on her cheek.

“I missed you, Al.”

“What do you mean? We were together all week.”

“Yes, but you weren’t… you.” She was right, I was off all week, I barely talked to her.

“I know, I’m sorry, Athena.”

“It’s okay.” She caressed my cheek.

A little later, the bell rang. I got up and rushed to the door.

“Hey” I stepped aside for Charlie to get in. She eyed me and dropped herself on me. I wrapped my arms around her.

“I’m sorry, Al, I’m so sorry.” She said as she pulled away. “I didn’t want to hurt you, but I was angry, and I overreacted.”

“Lets go in the living room.” We sat on the couch and I turned to look at her. Athena had left. “Charlie I…” I sighed and looked at her. “I missed you.” She smiled a little.

“I missed you too. I’m so sorry, Alex. I was being stupid. I should have put myself in your shoes.”

“I shouldn’t have yelled you and talked to you that way either.”

“No, you were right to yell at me. I shouldn’t have pressured you about these things. Will you forgive me?” I sighed and gave her a small nod.

“I can’t afford to lose you too.” I smiled.

“You won’t, I’m sorry.” She hugged me, and I hugged her back. “Where is Athena?”

“My guess is that she’s in the bedroom. She left to give us some privacy.” She nodded. “How are things going with you and Jane?”

“They…” She sighed. “She’s amazing, Al, but I… I’m just… I’m not.”

“What do you mean, dude?”

“She has so many hobbies and interests and so many friends, she’s so pretty, I don’t think she actually likes me.”

“She does Charlie, you are great too. Don’t doubt yourself.”