Chapter 11

Avery's POV

My cover is officially blown now. Mila knows who I am and what I'm about to put myself into once I'm done with my six month holiday away. Last six months in attempt to have a bit of normalcy as well as pick up on some useful skills that will be needed in the field.

I managed to knock the brunette out before I had to return to my stuff and rush to the airport once again. This time I'm headed to Warsaw for a day. I'll get there first thing in the morning and catch the flight at midnight. I might be exhausted with no sleep but I might try to have a quick nap during the flight.

Once I'm at the airport I try to blend in and stay in the background. I manage to find a spot at the very back that overlooks most of the airport so I'd be able to see if Mila managed to get back to her senses and catch up with me. I'm sure she knows where I'm going and when since she looked me up.

I wait around for a little while before they open up the gate so we could queue up for the flight. I end up being the first in the queue which is good because I'll be sitting in the back and I'll be able to see if she'll be getting on that flight. After a little while the goods close and after I see no signs of Mila I can relax and as soon as I close my eyes I sink into deep sleep.

The older woman sitting next to me pokes me a couple of times to wake me up and lets me know that we have now landed in Poland. I thank her quickly before jumping up and collecting my belongings so I could leave the plane as soon as I can.

After the customs I make my way towards a bus stop and jump into the bus that takes me to my hotel.

"Shit" I hiss under my breath and decide to get off when I'm a bit more central. I decide to cancel my booking with the hotel I'm supposed to be staying at. Instead I find the nearest cash converting place to take off a decent amount of cash so I could get a different hotel room and not be traced. I didn't realistically need a hotel room but instead of exploring the city I decided to catch up with some sleep. I could always come back some different time as I had plenty of time on my hands for now.

I manage to find a place that does walk ins and as soon as I'm in my room I crash. I wake up just about 8 hours later which still gives me plenty of time to shower and change my clothes before I get onto my next flight. During my shower however, I decide not to take that flight. I won't cancel my flight tickets which means I'll miss out on my money coming back but that still meant I'd be travelling incognito. I check some websites for busses that travel from country to country and find a service that will take me from Poland straight to Lithuania or Latvia. I check my calendar and decide to go to Latvia and skip Lithuania for now. I might just come back to it a couple of days later and change my route a bit so it would throw Mila off.

I can't tell if she'd be pissed off about how I left her with no explanation. Then again, I should be pissed off about the fact that I was going to throw my life away to prove to her that I can be trusted. Or maybe I did know that her gun would get jammed up because I messed with it a little when she stupidly let go of it back in Ukraine.

So yes I sort of knew it wouldn't shoot. But at the same time I was only 40% sure of it which means that does show some sort of fucked yo loyalty that I had given the woman willingly. I might be in a bit too deep but it'll sort itself out. She'll be furious and will either kick my ass and leave me in a ditch or just leave me alone for good. If there are any sort of assassin staff parties and she attends any, it'll be hella awkward.

I pull a face at the thought whilst applying my mascara in the mirror. I glance at my right hand and cringe at the bruises that were forming on my knuckles from my first couple of fights I just happened to have. Unofficially of course.

Once I'm ready I give myself one final look before pulling out my camera to do a quick mirror selfie but with Polaroids.

It doesn't take me long to arrive at the designated stop where people get picked up so I have a little while to pace around and find a more secluded spot to keep an eye on everyone in case Mila did figure my plan out.

Once the bus arrives I try to get a seat at the back for extra space as well as full visibility of all the passengers.

Once we make a move I get comfortable and sigh looking out the window. Was this a bad choice? I'm already paranoid with one person following me. What will happen when I meet the rest and have to live a life in constant fear that someone will be coming after me at any point?

Before I have more time to overthink I drift into some light sleep. 8 hours weren't enough by the looks of it.

I wake up at our first stop at the Lithuanian boarder which doesn't take that long and the driver announces that our first official stop will be at Kaunas that will last about an hour. Fair enough the man had been driving for about four hours and everyone is dying to go to the toilet.

We stop at the mall which is surprisingly open fairly early on a Thursday morning so I decide to go in for a little look. I set an alarm for half an hour so I wouldn't loose track of time and come back to the bus on time. The mall isn't as big as to what I'm used to but it's somewhat fun to roam around the shops and see what the latest trends are here. The trends are just about 5 years behind than they are back in UK but since I'm wearing all black I'm not receiving as many looks as I thought I would as a foreigner.

I manage to find a Starbucks and get a coffee as well as a quick bite before my alarm goes off meaning I have to head back. Quickly.

When I get back to the bus the driver seems to be arguing with a couple of lads that are wearing track suits. This doesn't look good at all. The driver seems a bit worried but isn't backing down though.

I get closer and try to make out what they're talking about but after the longest minute ever I give up.

"Are they... bothering him?" I ask a woman standing nearby smoking a cigarette.

Without looking over at me she hums quietly and nods while watching the scene play out in front of her.

"Hold this" I mumble and have one more sip of my coffee before I hand my snacks and coffee to the woman.

"I've got places to be so you either fuck off nicely or you'll be collecting your teeth off the floor like the change o saw you collecting a minute ago" I say calmly once I approach the two guys.

They look over at me and laugh like hyenas before saying something in Lithuanian. I roll by eyes but don't budge. They say some more profanities or empty threats and step closer to me. Since I still don't budge one reaches out to push me so I swat his arm away and raise my eyebrow to see what his next move will be.

After his friend laughs at him he pulls out a knife and waves it in front of my face.

"Oh come on. Be more original." I say with a bored expression and hit his arm again. Once he launches forward I catch the arm holding the knife and bend it back in a very awkward and very painful angle. I could have sworn I heard a quiet click before he let go of the knife. He screams in agony and falls to the floor.

His friend doesn't get the hint so he launches forward to but I manage to trip him over and make him fly over my shoulder face first onto the floor. There's a muffled groan, some shuffling and a lot of running happening in the next two minutes. I turn to the lady holding my stuff and thank her for the assistance. I make my way back onto the bus and sit in the back again.

The driver picks up the knife and stashes it in his bag before proceeding to start the engine. He makes sure everyone is off and drives off towards Riga.