●♥ 𝟙𝟘 ♥●

»»——♥——««

»»——♥——««

"How did you get Hadiza's pendant?"

My heart slammed to a stop at the mention of her name. I froze as my lungs closed in on itself.

What...

My eyes settled on him. Even as the tray of drinks slipped from my hand, it never strayed.

All night, all he'd been was someone who held a connection a painful part of Avondré's past, but to hear him mention her name shook the very earth I stood on. My chest rose and fell as he turned to me, eyes wide.

"How... how do you know my mother?"

The words spilled from my mouth even as my ears rang continuously. And it seemed time had frozen on that quiet moment when his eyes widened even more as he took me in or more importantly, my words. I felt numb with each passing second that I stared at him. How... did... he?

It finally made sense then. The way he'd, first of all, looked at me when I introduced myself to him, trying to get him to go with me to meet Avondré. It was like he was forcing himself not to think about something whilst trying to see if there was a correlation between me and something. Could it have been related to my mother? Was that it?

With a sharp sudden conviction, I moved to go closer to him, the space between us seemed too far apart for the situation at hand. But the instant I moved, gravity gave way beneath me and the air swirled around me. Weight pushed my body up, and I instantly wrapped my hand around his neck before I could even comprehend what had happened. My breath released sharply as I looked up at Avondré's wide eyes that matched the first rise and fall of his chest against my body.
As they looked down at me, they softened.

"What...?" I tried to ask, but once again it seemed all words had failed me again that day.

"You were..." he paused, controlling his breathing against my body before he pulled back slightly to drop me, letting my feet touch the ground before he released me. He coughed slightly to the side, and my heart sank as I squinted at him. Was he actually okay? Had carrying me put too much strain on him? What...?