Annabelle - Almost Dying is Good For You

There's nothing like running for your life. It's great exercise, for one, and also a nice adrenaline rush, in case you thought life was getting a bit too dull. Overall, it's an experience I highly recommend, especially when done as dramatically as possible. Say, still dressed for a masquerade ball.

James was annoyingly hard to find, which was ridiculous, because he was 6'1", as he frequently reminded me. No one that tall should be able to hide that easily, yet he was nowhere to be seen. Just a whole lot of destruction that meant he had been there.

The bombs had ripped apart a good chunk of the castle, even though James had said they 'didn't do much damage'. Maybe it was just me, but sections of the floor and roof entirely missing was a lot of damage. Because Leo actually had morals, he'd check the guard schedules, and no one should have been close enough during the blast. But still.

"James, you idiot," I muttered. "Where are you?"

"You called?" He stepped out of the smoke and debris, smirking.

"I've been looking for you! Hurry up–we've got to go! And put this back on." I yanked his mask back over his face. "They're right behind us."

He rolled his eyes behind the mask. "This literally doesn't even cover half my face. I don't think it's going to help much, Annie."

"Better than nothing."

He rolled his eyes behind the mask again. Probably, he practiced while he was staring at himself in the mirror. "Fine. Whatever."

I dragged him through the wreckage. Going fast wasn't really an option–one misstep and the remainder of the floor would crumble beneath us, sending us falling. As fun as it sounded, I didn't really feel like falling to my death today. I could hear the shouts of guards behind us, as they approached. It didn't seem like they'd be exactly happy to see us, though I thought we were excellent company.

"Where's Leo?" James asked, jumping over a section that had been completely exploded.

"Tower. He and Nicole will supposedly meet us there in about half an hour. If they don't, something's wrong. Same for us." I jerked my thumb over my shoulder. "We've got about that long to lose them."

"Should be easy enough."

"This is their palace, Jamie. They work here, and I think they know it a lot better than us."

He just smiled. "We'll see."

I didn't bother to argue with him. If he had some crazy plan, then all I could do was hope it worked. If it didn't, and we were still alive, I could sue him or something later.

James started down the staircase (which was mostly intact) and I slid down the banister, waving at him as I passed by. He rolled his eyes (for the third time), and I ignored him. It wasn't my fault he couldn't travel quickly and with style.

As I waited for him to take the stairs–which took an impossibly long time–I cast my gaze back upwards. The guards seemed to have reached one of the sections that had completely blown away, and were trying to figure out how to get across. That, at least, would slow them down a bit. But if I could do it in a ballgown, they were sure to figure it out soon enough.

Probably.

James and I ran off towards the servants corridors; which were not exactly fun to be in again. Moldy and damp, it seemed they hadn't done any quick repairs while the ball was going on. I debated sending an anonymous complaint. It lessened the fun of stealing things from the palace, which, if I had a palace, would be a top priority for me.

Someone should really give me a palace.

James and I headed out of the servants corridors and to the back entrance to the gardens. Even with their knowledge of the palace, I doubted they would have much better luck than us there. They were large, confusing, and way too easy to get lost in.

Which made them the perfect place to hide.

James and I darted into the hedge maze (which, naturally, formed the queen's crest. I had to admit, when you looked at it from above, it was pretty cool). I'd used to play in here during my first Festival balls, with the other children who were too young to dance. Usually, it ended up with someone getting lost, and parents being called (like the time Rosie Applegate totally overreacted when I pushed her into a shrub–I had to win!), but it had still been fun.

"Split up?" James asked.

I hesitated before nodding. I wasn't sure how well I remembered the maze; not that it had been easy when I had remembered it. "Sure. Meet in the middle?"

He nodded. "Sounds good."

We took different directions, and, minutes later, I heard the guards crashing in behind us. I headed for the center, following the twists and turns and hoping I was at least someone what right. If I wasn't, it was going to be a long night. I didn't really want to spend my night in the freezing cold, especially because it was still sprinkling slightly. Just enough to be mildly annoying, but still not something I wanted to be out in at night.

Finally, I heard a guard announce, "They're not in here! If they are, they'll be lost, anyway. Let 'em freeze."

I changed my mind. If they left, freezing was fine by me.

The other guards murmured consent, and a moment later, I heard their footsteps retreating in the opposite direction. I burst into the center of the maze, recognizing the fountain and statue. I'd tried (and mostly succeeded) to climb it once.

James appeared a moment after, and immediately hopped up on top of the statue. I shot him a questioning look. "It's been half an hour. I'm looking for Leo and Nicole."

I nodded, waiting while he scanned the area. I was beginning to shiver, the cold finally catching up. Another benefit of running for your life: you don't feel the cold.

James looked down at me. "They're not here."

I grimaced. "Should we wait another few minutes?"

James shook his head. "It's already a few minutes past when we were supposed to meet. Leo wouldn't be late. Something's wrong."

Leo had said the same thing just over a half hour before, and he must have been right. My stomach wound itself in knots. "Well," I said, "I guess we go looking, then." 

Word Count: 1,093