CHAPTER THREE

ೃ࿐ ୨⎯ "act one" ⎯୧
CHAPTER THREE:

FINNICK

Kicking off his shoes, Finnick scanned the empty house for the girl,

"Ashtide?" he called.

He never thought he'd be calling for someone else in his house. Especially not her. Every night coming back in, it hit him he was alone. What could've been a home full of light, life and laughter.

As a child, he'd dream of a house with a beautiful flower garden, a swing set in the garden for him and his two brothers and the smell of freshly baked goods in the kitchen. Instead, through the triple glazed windows, all he saw was weeds and uneven branches peeking through, which was strange - he enjoyed gardening, just not there. There was no warmth from the fire, instead it was cold. No children on the swings in the garden and barely any food in the cupboard. Only sound anyone could hear were his harsh footsteps and the foul wind from outside. The house was lifeless. Even with the lights on, the house was shadowed with darkness.
It wasn't a home, just a house.

Knocking himself out of his thoughts, and focusing on the girl somewhere in his house, he started his trek up the stairs, the thin rug covering the hardwood floor beneath.

Within seconds, he knew where she was. It was as if he had some intuitional ability. Heading to the bathroom door, he tapped on the door.

"You alright in there Ashtide" He asked.

And then he heard it. The breathing, the sobs.

"Ashtide?" He said, his voice conveying concern, "Open the door"

The girl could only let out one word,
"Finnick" she breathed.

She was having a panic attack, he could tell.

"Ashtide, I'm gonna come in okay, I'll break the door"

Holding the handle, shaking it violently and pushing his whole body weight onto the door. The crack of the door on it's hinges revealed the girl sat on the bathroom floor, head on the wall, tears running down her face.

Seeing her in this way, so destroyed, it hurt him. Not because he liked her, but because he knew what it was like, he knew that this was the life of a victor.

Moving quickly, he crouched down next to her, talking softly, but in a rushed tone. He was clearly panicked himself.

"Whoa, hey. You're okay" He spoke. The panicked look in her eyes begged for help.

"We're gonna do some breathing together okay. In for one, together"

"You ready? One"

Remaining eye contact, they breathed in synchrony. Finnick felt the girl reach for his hand, and once their fingers interlocked, it was like sparks lit up the room.

"Two"

Another breath in. Finnick pushed the idea of them holding hands to the back of his mind

"Three"

As she exhaled, he watched her the slow release of pain and panic.