11-20

Bai Fumei in the '70s Chapter 11

By the time she reached the grocery shop, there were already two long queues lined up in front of the store.

Pork, chicken, and duck meat, which were the most sought-after meats, were sold out very quickly. When it was her turn, only the pig's offals, trotters, and poultry's liver, head, and claws were left.

These internal parts did not contain any oil or sauce, so people did not like to eat them, but Zhao Lanxiang did not dislike them. These parts were all good in her eyes, and their value was not worse than fat. It was just that people during this time lacked seasonings such as oil, salt, sauce, and vinegar, so they can't bring out the delicious flavor of these meats.

Puretl. com - - Do not repost or steal.

In the end, Zhao Lanxiang grabbed two pounds of pure lean meat and two pounds of trotters. She didn't miss the chicken and duck kidneys, heads, claws, and other scraps as well, and she put everything into the bag with a smile. She had bought some meat tickets from the black market, but they were quickly running out.

The clerk in the grocery store glanced at the girl who bought meat generously and stared at her.

Zhao Lanxiang coughed and explained, "I am a new purchaser for the cafeteria, I'm responsible for the purchase of meat."

Zhao Lanxiang said this sentence to dispel the salesperson's doubts. People in the city sometimes eat lavishly, but it's not the same for those in the countryside. The monthly share of pork was usually only half a pound to a pound per person. But Zhao Lanxiang bought one person's share of pork for at least a whole year.

Zhao Lanxiang packed the meat in a bamboo basket and quietly withdrew from the dragon-like long queue. She winked at He Songbai, who was hiding in the street alley.

To not be too eye-catching, Zhao Lanxiang does not take a car, but chooses to walk back to the village on foot. She also decided to walk along a remote mountain road.

There was no such thing as a free market in this era, except for a small amount of produce sold by self-producing farmers, the action of reselling food or materials was considered to be "speculation."

Speculation was a very dangerous act. If she were caught, she would be sent to a labor camp or jailed according to the seriousness of the crime. She did not want to lose her life to make some money.

Zhao Lanxiang walked ten miles and finally returned to the village before the sunset.

He Songbai's dark and thick brows were wrinkled ever since they were at the street in the black market, and he still hadn't let it go.

He followed this "extremely audacious" educated youth Zhao. He watched her walk carefully around the mountain all the way to the village, while grabbing several plants and putting them in her basket to disguise herself as "harvesting wild vegetables." His stretched expression was not so ugly anymore.

If she were caught, their He family would not be able to escape from being labeled as "accomplices." He Songbai said this to himself to explain his behavior towards this educated youth Zhao.

Zhao Lanxiang doesn't know the man's complicated psychological activities at this time. After returning home, she went into the kitchen and busied herself cooking.

She cleaned the meat briskly, picking out the chicken and duck meat, sliced some ginger and scallions, and marinated them with cooking wine and salt. The time to steep was very long. It will not be thoroughly marinated until noon the next day. She found a clay pot and put them away, and then started the preparation of another delicate marinade.