Chapter 23

Dan's POV

Dad, Matt and I are sitting in the living room just talking. It's mainly me and Matt talking actually, it is out chance to get to know each other.

It's a little weird, and a little awkward not gonna lie, but he's the person my sister loves enough to live with and not us.

Don't let that bother you Dan.

So, anyways, the point is. Matt is a good guy from what I've seen from him, getting to know him won't do me any harm.

Sigh, if only Ivan could be with me. But he'd need to figure things out with Fran before any of that even has a possibility of happening.

So, Matt and I talk and talk and talk just about random stuff, about mom, about memories with Fran. Some make me sad thinking I missed it all but I'm a glass half full kind of guy. I'm just happy she's here now.

Just then I- well we hear footsteps coming down the stairs. Two footsteps.

Uh oh, I think to myself.

Could Fran and Ivan be fighting again and whatever she did upstairs hadn't worked?

I mentally prepare myself for the fight I'm about to have to break up when Fran enters the living room with the biggest smile on her face and Ivan shortly behind her.

"Hey hun" Matt says, looking as confused as I am, as confused as dad is.

Because Ivan is in the same space as Francisca willingly.

"Hi!" Francisca says, excitedly and head to sit next to me. I look at her confused, then at Ivan who just shrugs and heads to sit next to her. Making her sitting between us.

Did I just enter an alternate universe?

Wait- did Fran's plan actually work?

Dad and Matt have the same perplexed expressions that I do.

Probably because Ivan is acting out of character right now.

"What are you guys talking about?" Fran asks.

We all just stare at her and Ivan, "don't worry about it". I mutter.

"What-what about you two? What did you talk about?" I ask.

Fran only grins in response, and when I look at Ivan, he's not looking at me, he's just staring right ahead, not even making eyes contact with dad or Matt.

I look at my dad questioningly and I see him do the same with me and Matt but then his gaze stops at Ivan and he smiles.

"Glad you figured things out" he says in a soft tone.

I can see from my father's expression that a weight has been lifted off his shoulders. He's been worrying about Ivan, we all have, with his relationship with Fran. But now, it looks like everything is going to be okay.

Matt also smiles catching on on what this means. That Francisca has won her brother over again. He wouldn't have to see her sad.

Now my hopes of getting to know Matt with Ivan aren't totally crazy.

I didn't want to do it alone, it would've been nice to have him with me. And now that seems like it could be possible.

And I can see that Matt has that hope too, that Ivan would be as willing as I am.

And even though my hope of Ivan joining me in getting know our step father is there, it isn't high. Because if I know my brother, he'll be stubborn about this to if not more so.