Take Care of Her

Believe you can and you're halfway there. -T. Roosevelt

"I'm staying in Alaska, Nick, take care of my girl" Gibbs spoke over the satellite phone. 

"What do you mean you're staying in Alaska?" Nick questioned, surprised that Gibbs would leave Leilani. 

"I'm actually retiring" Gibbs smiled, knowing Lei would understand. 

"I'm in love with Leilani I promise I will always take care of her" Nick promised, knowing there was no point in arguing with Gibbs. 

"And stop pussyfooting around and make things official with LJ," Gibbs commented, "You've been living together for almost two years now, I think you both have been single long enough." 

"I was going to ask her on a date tonight, actually" Nick blushed as the rest of the team got off he elevator.

"Good, I'll talk to you later," Gibbs smiled, "And I want more grandkids soon." 

"Yes, Sir" Nick chuckled before hanging up. 

"What's so funny?" Jessica asked. 

"Before I answer that, did you guys know Gibbs isn't coming back?" Nick asked. 

"He called me before I left the house to tell me" McGee nodded. 

"Gibbs isn't coming back?" Jessica asked in surprise. 

"Yeah, he talked to me and the Director last night just after I'd sent all of you home for the night," their new boss, Special Agent Parker, added, "He and LJ have been talking about him retiring after the attempt on his life. Alaska made the most sense to the both of them." 

"I can't believe she didn't say anything to me," Nick commented with furrowed brows, "We live together." 

"It was probably a conversation Gibbs asked LJ to keep between them until the time was right" McGee reassured Nick. 

As they finished up the case they had been working on all week, Nick couldn't keep his mind from wandering to Leilani. A few months before, they had both let their guard down and ended up having an intimate night together for the first time in four years. It felt natural to Nick to fall asleep with Leilani in his arms again, and he knew Gibbs was right about making things official between them. Jem made Nick feel at peace when she was around and his sister adored her which was a huge thing for him. 

"Hey, Nick" Parker called to catch Nick's attention before everyone left after closing their case

"What's up?" Nick asked, trying to hide his annoyance at being kept from LJ. 

"Take a few days off. You seemed to be somewhere else today and with the news about Gibbs I think I understand what's going on," Parker smiled, "I think you and LJ have a lot to talk about." 

"Thank you, Parker" Nick nodded before leaving. 

As Nick pulled into their driveway on his motorcycle he could see into the house he shared with Leilani and noticed she was in the kitchen. Taking his helmet off, Nick could hear Latin music coming from the open windows as he watched Jemisha dancing around their kitchen, cooking dinner. Jem smiled when she looked through windows facing their driveway and saw Nick admiring her at peace in their home. The smiles on their faces told them both it was time to move things out of the situationship they had been in for about four months into a real relationship.