Chapter 1 | A New Start

May 14th, 2022

May 14th, 2022.
Bellevue, Washington, United States.

It was like a jungle.

A small, dark forest green truck steadily rolled down a paved roadway- small rabbits and startled birds hopped away from her vehicle in fright as she passed. The brilliant emerald vines, moss, and leaves of the rainforest shimmer under the sun's kiss. 

Opposite of France, in Pays de la Loire region, Washington was a glorified rainforest. The humidity frilled her long white hair; constant rain lulled the calming scents of the forest into the air.

To River, it was paradise.

Loads of luggage packed her truck, which she had saved money in France to purchase before moving into her new home. For years, the plan to move to America had been a secret. She was thrilled to finally enact her dream.

River had purchased a small cabin in a gated community for an incredibly scandalous price- it was so cheap! She found it strange that the homeowner was so desperate to leave. Why would you want to leave such a beautiful place? 

She thought a rainforest like this only existed behind heaven's gates!

Her truck rolled under a naturally made archway, a large tree creating a whimsical entrance into her new home. The girl's eyes narrowed as she drummed her fingers along the wheel, watching as a large gate and fence appeared. 

She couldn't help but feel nerves trickle under her skin, hissing with foreboding prophecies of what was to come. 

Her ice-blue eyes scanned the area, slowly rolling to a stop before the gate.

To her left settled a small cabin, neatly blending into the forest around it- moss growing along its outer walls. The door swung open once she had come to a slow stop.

The most muscular man she had seen hauled himself out the door. His black eyebrows were furrowed, a large hand scratching his messy scruff along his jaw. 

As he reached her window, short, messy black hair bounced with each step. Sharp amber eyes inquisitively glared through her window, piercing her soul. 

He meant business. 

His black tank top might as well have been a business suit.

Nervously, she pressed her finger atop the button to roll down the passenger side window. 

"B-Hello!" She stuttered immediately, mentally cursing herself for her shy introduction. The large man stared for a moment before his expression shifted to amusement. 

"Lost?" he rattled, his deep voice humming within his chest. River pursed her lips, unsteadily shaking her head. 

"Uhm—No." She reassured him, "I bought a cabin in this community." Her thick French accent rolled off her tongue, sticking out like a sore thumb.