Chapter 30

Two day later…

The men all rises early upon the arrival of the morning sun. Some of them spend the early morning before the battle bidding a proper farewell to their loving wives. Others insure that they have the necessary equipment to live and see their loved ones after.

     Travis watches the people and the many rituals that they partake in before leaving to the battle ahead. It had come to thought for him to discuss an attempt to escape with the people. But, he knew that this could lead to a different outcome than what he has planned.

     It could also drive the young chief to detest him and then he may never listen when the time is right. The young man bides his time, by training the previous days to properly uses his limited powers of Zae.

     He sits underneath a tent closest to the dried lands with his legs partially crossed with one of the legs bent.

     Rather than worry—Vivian has decided to stay the nights with the single woman named Sheza they met before. The two share a partially similar outlook on things and have spent a lot of time during the previous day just griping about the chauvinistic ways of the tribe.

     Although, many of the women disagree with Sheza, because of the traditions of the VeChrome. She has found a kindred spirit in the once proud leader of the band of bounty hunters. The talks helps Vivian discover that many of the women in the tribe carry unbounded bitterness against the men they were forced to marry.

     Lastly, Damen has continued to gather information about the history of the land of Adacost. Many of the people are eager to express their fondest memories of the days before the coming of the shadowy menace.

     The young Seer still believes himself to be the central cause of the plague. But, this grief gives him motivation to see the success of Travis’s plan. The three all spend their time differently throughout the forty-eight hours at the encampment that remained.

     As if prepping for its coming prey, the dried lands sap the moisture from its previous bounties as their body dry up into brittle bones.

Walles: The Chief’s son…

     The sun rises early in the village far outside the Kingdom of Hearth known as Adacost, home to the VeChrome tribe. Tightly spaced roads of brick and mortar line the length and width of this village as its people live surrounded by strange violet colored trees.

     Sentries clad in a wooden made armor walk by their chief and his son. They all head to the woods outside of the village to train in the art of combat with swords made of wood and stone at their hips.

     Chief Louis VeChrome, places a hand on his son’s shoulder and brushes him forward to spar with one of the sentries. The sentry and the son battle as the chief speaks aloud for his heir to hear.

     “The clan is looking forward to seeing how you will lead them. I have taught you about management of resources and how to carry yourself with the pride of our great tribe. Today, you must prove yourself to the best in the tribe; including myself.”

     The son dodges the attacks, but hesitates to engage in the battle. Louis stops his speech as he stares at his son. It is clear to him that his heir does not want to fight. But, the Chief knows that this is rebellion against the VeChrome way.

     “Walles!” the chief shouts out, causing the son to lose his focus on his opponent. The sentry jabs the dull bladed stone weapon against Walles’s chest while he is distracted. “That was a cheap shot! What type of a warrior are you?!” the boy complains.