Chapter 22

Ana's POV

I woke up in a bed in a room made warm by the sun shining through the thin sheer curtains.

"Oh, Anastasia dear you're finally awake."

I turned my head to the voice coming from my right. It was Grace.

"How are you feeling honey, you've slept for two days straight. We had a doctor friend of ours come to look you over and clean you up. She did her best to treat your injuries but you need to go to a hospital soon."

She kept talking as she helped me sit up in the bed. I assumed that the IV I was attached to was pumping some kind of pain medication as I felt little pain as I moved into an upright position.

She held a straw to my lips and I quickly started to drink the cool water that was given to me and Grace removed the straw once I'd had my fill.

My voice was groggy when I spoke.

"What happened?"

I knew how I ended up finding Grace but I was so exhausted everything was a bit of a blur.

"Well honey you about scared the shit out of me and Joe when you fell into the diner like that. Covered in blood and dirt and all bruised up the way you were. You didn't say much of anything other than that you needed our help but that we shouldn't take you to the hospital. You fainted after that and you've been asleep since. The car you drove in with is still parked in front of the diner, I can have Joe drive it over if you like."

I shook my head.

"No, no leave it, it's not mine."

She nodded.

"I probably should have asked before I did it but I went ahead and called your friend Alexander. He should be on his way."

I felt myself getting choked up as my eyes watered.

"You called Alex?"

She looked concerned.

"Oh should I not have done that? You were calling out form him in your sleep and I remembered seeing that interview with that horrid sister of his so I made the connection. I assumed you may have wanted to see another familiar face."

I shook my head.

"No, no you were right to call him. I need to see him."

I started to feel self conscious all of a sudden. I moved to smoothe down my hair and gently poked at the small cuts and bruises littering my face.

"Oh, stop that, you look beautiful honey."

She looked slyly at me.

"So, I take it this Alexander is more than just a friend?"

I smiled sheepishly and nodded.

"Well, lucky him then."

I started fiddling with my fingers as my thought started going a mile a minute.

"What's wrong honey?"

"When I started working at the diner, I was pregnant if you don't remember."

She nodded.

"I do, I just wasn't sure if that was something you wanted to talk about."

I shook my head.

"It's okay. I don't have much to say other than I was in the hospital but I can't remeber why but I woke up no longer pregnant. The men that hurt me were already there and they forced me out of the hospital."

I felt a few tears run down my face.

"I've never even seen my baby. I dont even know if it's a boy or a girl. I don't know how old they are. I don't know anything."

Grace placed a comforting hand over mine.

"I'm sure the baby is fine. You've had a more tha rough time and not seeing your child due toyour circumstances doesn't make you less of a mother."

I heard what she was saying and I knew that it was true but I still felt as if I had already failed my child. I felt like I'd already abandoned them before I'd even had the chance to meet them and I felt guilty about it.

"It'll be okay honey, everything will be alright."

There was a loud banging from downstairs and I felt myself stiffen up.

"I think your friend is here."

There was a rush of multiple feet coming up the stairs and all of a sudden Marisa and Cameron burst into the room, yelling over one another. They were allowed a few minute to fuss over me before Grace shooed them away because their frantic energy was quickly sapping up the little bit of energy I had.

I closed my eyes for a moment when I heard soft footsteps enter the room and I felt Grace's weight lift off the bed.

I kept my eyes closed as the person shulled closer to where I was on the bed and shuddered when a warm hand caressed my bruised cheek. I reveled in the soft touches for a moment before I opened my eyes. And there he was.

Blue eyes clashed with brown.

I breathed a sigh of relief.

I was safe.

This was over.

**

Alex's POV

Laying eyes on Ana felt surreal. She was beaten and bruised but she was alive. We'd both shed tears when we finally reunited several hours ago. She wasn't ready to talk about what happened to her over the last few weeks and for now I would just let it go. She'd been through more than enough and she deserved a break.

We we sat next to each other on the bed when she finally spoke.

"Alex?"

I looked down to where she was leaning on my chest.

"What's wrong? Do you need anything?"

She nodded.

"I-can I see the baby?"

I smiled. I hadn't brought him to her right away as I wasn't sure how fragile she would be mentally. I didn't know how she would react to seeing the baby after having spent weeks with the man that impregnated her.

I kissed her forehead.

"Of course, I'll be right back."

I'd made sure to bring Elijah with us just in case she was ready to see him once she'd settled.

He was currently being held by Grace, the older woman who, along with her husband had helped Ana first, right before I'd met her officially and again over the last few days.

"She's ready to see him."

Grace quickly stood and handed him over to me and I turned to make my way back up the stairs.

As I entered the room, Ana's eyes stayed glued to the tiny bundle held in my arms. I sat next to her and carefully slid him into her arms.

"His name is Elijah."

Her voice shook with emotion when she spoke.

"Thank you. Thank you for taking care of him."

She held the baby close as she cried and I held them both close as we sat on the bed. The three of us together for the first time. It felt right.

"I'll take care of the both of you for as long as you allow me."

I joined her in staring down at Elijah who stared back at her, finally able to see his mother for the first time. They were transfixed with each other and it was one of the most beautiful thing I'd seen.

And it was something that I'd get to see for a long time because I was never letting either of them go.

We were together and that was all that mattered.