Chapter Seventy-five

The courtroom was abuzz with anticipation as the day's proceedings were about to begin

The courtroom was abuzz with anticipation as the day's proceedings were about to begin. I sat near the entrance door, with my father beside me. Our eyes fixed on the entrance, and I felt my heart starting to race in my chest. I knew she would be coming soon. And when she did, she slowly entered the room, accompanied by her family and defense attorney.

As the doors swung open, a hushed murmur spread through the crowd. There she was, walking in with a mix of poise and vulnerability, her eyes focused on the ground in front of her. Her family flanked her, their expressions a blend of support and concern. And there, right by her side, was the defense attorney who was tasked with untangling the web of accusations that had been woven around her.

My gaze was fixed on her, my heart pounding like a drum in my chest. I longed for her to look in my direction, to meet my eyes even for a fleeting moment. I yearned for that connection, that unspoken understanding between us that had always been so strong—to let her know that I still love her and nothing could and would ever change the way I felt for her. But as much as I wished for it, our eyes never seemed to meet.

She walked past me, her footsteps echoing in the quiet courtroom. I could feel her presence, the gravity of the situation she was facing. It was as if an invisible force was pulling me towards her, urging me to reach out, to offer comfort in any way I could.

I watched as she took her seat at the defendant's table, her face a mask of composure. The room seemed to close in around me, and I felt the tension coming in every corner. I couldn't tear my eyes away from her, my heart aching with a mixture of love and helplessness.

Time seemed to stretch as I waited for her to glance in my direction. I wanted to be a source of strength for her, a reminder that she wasn't alone in this battle. But despite my silent plea, her gaze never met mine. It was as if we were ships passing in the night, our worlds so close yet unable to connect.

"Are you sure you want to witness all of this?" Dad asked me, with much concern hinting in his voice. I could feel his eyes on me but I dared not to look at them, as I felt the weight of my emotions wanting to pour on him.

I nodded my head, "I want to be here," I told him with much conviction that's left in my voice.

I want to be here for her. I want her to know that I'll always be here, no matter what happens—no matter the outcome.

In a few minutes, the seats in the courtroom were filled. As I sat nervously sat in the crowded courtroom, I watched the proceedings unfold before me as I fiddled with my fingers to shake the nervousness away for a bit. The air was thick with tension, and the weight of the situation hung heavily in the room. Lauren Sanders was finally on trial for the accusation of murder. It felt like a surreal nightmare that I couldn't wake up from.

The prosecutor, Mr. Dawson, stood confidently at the front of the room, his sharp gaze fixed on the jury. He was about to present his case against Lauren, and the evidence he had compiled was enough to make even the strongest person doubt her innocence. The photos, the witnesses, the damning statements – it was all laid out on the table for everyone to see.