-Chapter X-

The trio were able to get out of the fallen building without anymore run-ins from the cranks and were now headed down an alleyway with trash everywhere and clothes hanging from clotheslines above their heads.

     "Hey you hear that?" Thomas looked around at both the buildings with Evelyn at his side failing to notice the other girl had stopped and sat down.

     Once they realized, they turned and walked back to her as she winced and grabbed at her calve. "Hey, you all right?"

     Brenda pulled up her pant leg to reveal a bite mark that was bleeding over her shaky skin. "Shit." She muttered.

     "Brenda." Thomas said as he sighed, not wanting anyone else to turn into one of those things and feeling bad having genuinely liked the girl from the short time they'd spent together so far.

     "Yeah, yeah. I know." She said wrapping the wound up before slinging her backpack around her back and standing up. "Let's just go find Marcus."

     Exiting the alleyway, Brenda led them into a main street with people dispersed around the area looking cold and dirty.

     "Hey." Brenda said catching the other two's attention. "Try to blend in."

     Evelyn nodded and kept a small space between herself and the two as they walked down the middle of the street.

     Evelyns eye was caught by a little boy who was playing with an old beat up toy truck holding his mothers hand as they waited in line for food it looked liked, both covered in dirt and filth but the boys smile was so cheery as he made small sounds like a car.

     He looked over to Evelyn and waved shyly, the girl smiling and waving back. The look on his face was so heartwarming like he hadn't received a smile in months. It was truly heartbreaking to the girl as she turned her head back forward and kept on their way.

     Not much time had past as they approached a large building, the outside area full of woman wearing revealing clothes and swayed in a suggestive way to the tune that could be heard mildly from inside.

     "Are you sure this is the place?" Thomas asked Brenda as he felt weird about being here.

     "You here for the party?" Evelyn turned around, a tall blonde woman swaying her hips as she approached them, eyes lingering on Thomas a moment longer than Evelyn would've liked.

     "Uh...no." Brenda said eyes narrowed at the woman. "We're looking for Marcus. This is his place isn't it?"

     "This is my place." Again they turned back around to be met with a man taking a swig from a bottle as the blonde pushed them towards him, Evelyn shoving her hand away immediately after it had landed on her shoulder.

     "Are you Marcus?" Thomas asked looking the man up and down in dismay. He looked kinda out of it, drunk and flimsy.

     "Marcus doesn't live here anymore." He stated, Evelyn noticing the slyest grin playing across his lips as he fiddled with his fingers.

     "Do you know where we can find him?" She asked crossing her arms.

     "Sure, sure. He's over in Zone B." He replied tilting his head at Evelyn with an odd smirk.

     "What's Zone B?" Thomas questioned as the blonde ran her hand along his shoulder blades and walked around to his side opposite of Evelyn, the girl glaring over at her as she did so.

     "It's where they burn the bodies." She said in a low, seductive voice, the boy only furrowing his brows as she walked to the man.

     "Okay look." Evelyn stepped forward after retrieving her hard stare from the blonde and placing it back on the man. "We need to know if there's been anyone else come through here. Group of kids about our age. They have a girl with them. Black hair, great nose."