-Chapter IX-

Evelyn's eyes widened as they watched with worried looks across their features out into the maze. As the sun went down, her heart picked up being that the doors should've been closed a while ago.

     A loud crash sounded through the glade, everyone covering their ears for a moment as it passed. They looked around to find the other four doors slowly starting to open.

     "Chuck, go to the Council Hall and start barricading the doors." Thomas instructed.

     "Mmhmm." He mumbled as he started running off.

     "Winston, Teresa. You go with him." Gally said looking between the two. They nodded before running after Chuck. "Get the others. Tell them to go to the forest. Go hide, now!

     "Minho, I want you to grab every weapon you can find. I'll meet you at council hall." Thomas said the boy who nodded and gestured for Frypan along with a couple other boys to follow him.

     Thomas turned to Evelyn who was staring into the maze like she saw a ghost. "Hey, Evelyn. You and I are gonna go get Alby, all right?"

     She broke her gaze away from the maze as he placed his hands on her shoulders, the girl nodding along. They turned away from each other at the sound of yelling behind Thomas, a group of boys sprinting away from one of the doors shouting inaudible words.

     Evelyn whipped her head in the direction of the maze as a familiar shriek was heard inside. Her breath was caught in her throat at the sight of a griever at the end of the long strip of concrete.

     "All right, everybody hide!" Thomas shouted as they started to run away, turning around once he saw that Evelyn wasn't following her eyes glued to the entrance.

     "Evelyn!" He grabbed her wrist and pulled her along with him, not letting go of her hand as they ran. "Run! Run!"

     They ran into the cornfield with Zart and two other boys where they crouched down, the only noise being the panting and a few screams from not far off.

     As Evelyn turned her head around she saw a large claw rose into the air and before she could even say a word, it wrapped around Zart.

     "Zart, no!" She yelled jumping forward but couldn't catch his outstretched hand in time as he screamed and was yanked away.

     "Go! Go, get to the village!" Thomas instructed as the remaining four stood up and sprinted away.

     They speeded towards the hut trying their best to ignore the screams of their friends. "Alby! Are you okay?" Thomas asked as he saw the boy who was being helped by Clint and Jeff.

     "What's going on?" He questioned looking around puzzled.

     "They're here." Evelyn stated.

     "Grievers?" Jeff gulped. Evelyn patted his shoulder and nodded.

     "Thomas, what do we do?" Jeff asked just as a griever ran through the hut taking a boy with it.

     Evelyn backed up quickly, grabbing a machete that was a few feet away lying on the ground. She ran with the crowd but was stopped as a griever crashed through another hut causing them all to stop.

      It raised its stinger and let out a growl before Teresa grabbed a lantern and threw it right at the head of the griever, lighting it with the bright flame.

     Two grievers were now chasing them, one grabbing ahold of a boy and running off but the other kept on their trail. Alby stumbled to the ground, Jeff quickly picking him up by one arm and Evelyn grabbed his other as Thomas took a defensive step in front of them holding his machete at the thing.