xix

19 | THE CHARADE

Thor tiredly strutted into the throne room and straightened as he approached the throne before bowing slowly.

"Father," Thor greeted.

"Thor," Odin said with a smile. "Rise, my son."

Odin was wearing grand armour, and intricately carved golden chest armour shielding his torso from view, the shoulder pieces covering the bottoms of his shoulders, and gauntlets covering the portions of his forearms closest to his wrists.

The armour covered his waist and upper thighs as well, and a pair of under-armour clothing stretched down to his legs before disappearing behind his shining metal boots. A golden eye patch also covered one of his eyes.

His golden staff leaned against his throne idly, but Odin grabbed it weirdly as Thor approached further.

"Tell me the news of the Greeks," Odin commanded.

Thor's face twisted into a slightly hateful grimace. "They threatened me, and told me that I was the cause of the Mist's evaporation. Apparently, I have broadened their minds to the point of believing in monsters from another world."

Thor had originally tried to dispel that idea as false, but the more he thought about it, the more it made sense.

If civilians could watch him fly through the air and shoot lightning as enormous aliens came in through a wormhole, what was so far-fetched about a seven-foot monster with one eye? Or kids running around controlling water and fire?

Midgard, as Thor knew it, was unravelling. Perhaps Cassandra was right, he was arrogant and rash, unaware of the consequences of his actions until it was much too late.

Odin seemed pensive at his statement. "Mmm. Perhaps, but that is not entirely your fault. The Chitauri came on their own accord, and you had to react in order to shield Midgard's people from their horrors. If the Greeks are going to blame anyone, it should be the Chitauri."

Thor nodded, agreeing silently. Although, the Greeks would have a hard time blaming a race of aliens that Ironman had nuked to extinction.

"They are frantic," Thor reasoned. "The demigods and the Greek world are at risk so they are eager to place blame. They are simply afraid. Perseus, Elias and Cassandra, of the Poseidon bloodline, are spearheading a defence. I'd like to join them alongside the Avengers, if you would allow me, father."

Odin seemed to ponder this. "Midgard is becoming too reliant on Asgardian protectors. If you continue to offer your aid, they will never be able to defend themselves alone. You will be dragged back in for every conflict, son. I do not believe it wise for you to intervene once more."