Chapter 12 Marigold

I stared out the window of my hotel room and watched as the rain assaulted the windows. I dabbed my cheeks and felt that they were wet. I hadn't even realized I was crying until the skies opened up. I felt the familiar warmth overtake my skin as my fae magic let loose on mother nature. Hardly visible to the naked eye were faint streaks of green dancing in between the raindrops. Finn's face flashed in my mind.

Five weeks later I was slowly beginning to adjust to the outside world and living on my own. I realized that there were so many decisions to be made and the freedom of choice was quickly overwhelming. I didn't know what to do with my days, so I spent a lot of the time exploring the city outside the hotel. I found a coffee shop I liked nearby and got a job at a small bookstore just a few blocks away. I realized quickly that I enjoyed walking a whole lot more than public transportation or hailing a taxi.

My favorite place to visit, though, was the beach my hotel sat on. The hotel provided beach chairs and blankets, they even had men who carried them out to the beach for their patrons. I spent most of my days laying on the beach, reading whatever new book I had picked up from the bookstore that day.

My coworker at the bookstore and the owner were my only friends, and I was okay with that. They were very friendly and easy to talk to. They didn't ask many questions and never made me feel weird for asking silly questions of my own. I was adjusting to my new life well. But, still, something was missing.

"Everytime that door opens up you seem disappointed about who walks in." My coworker, Abi, giggled at me from behind the cash register. When the door to the bookstore opened, the little bell above it chimed and I quickly looked over to see who it was.

"I don't know what you mean." I shrugged, innocently. That was a lie. For just the briefest moment, everyone who walked through the door wore the same dark eyes and soft hair as Finn Oxford.

"Sure, okay." Abi rolled her eyes.

"You're done for the day, Mari." The owner of the shop, Claire, came out from behind a stack of books.

"Already?" I asked, surprised, looking up at the clock on the wall. Claire laughed at me,

"You worked a double shift today. How did you not notice?" Abi was already clocking me out of the system.

"Time flies, I guess." I mumbled, slipping out of my work apron and hanging it on my hook behind the counter. I traded it for my small crossbody purse that hung loosely over my chest.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Mari." Abi waved as I walked through the shop.

"You're still okay with opening?" Claire asked me as I approached the door.

"Sure." I shrugged, I had nothing better to do. I said my goodbyes and walked back to my hotel.

I quickly changed into my bathing suit, putting a pair of stretchy shorts and a loose tank top over top. I perched my sunglasses on the top of my head and went back down to the lobby. They already had a chair and towel ready for me, having gotten used to my routine. I followed the hotel employee across the warm sand and thanked him for setting up my things.

I stretched out on the white plastic chair and threw my tank top over the back of it. I sighed as the warm sun kissed my bare stomach and watched the glistening water as it stretched out in front of me. I closed my eyes and slowly drifted off to the sound of seagulls and crashing waves.

In my dreams, Finn was always there. His warm eyes and dark hair, his tanned, tattooed skin, and his devilishly handsome smile. I felt his presence around me like a warm embrace every single minute of every day. I felt when he was having a bad day, I felt his grief and loneliness; at night it poured over me in a wave of darkness. I felt him weakening as I felt myself growing more tired as well.

We never rejected each other, and because of that our bond was still strong and intact. I knew I was being selfish. Our separation was weakening him, an alpha, and putting him at risk. It was clouding my mind and causing me to feel drowsy during the day and wide awake at night. Our bond was slowly poisoning us, and there was only one way to stop it; rejection or acceptance.

I wasn't ready to do either. I'm not sure I ever would be.

A high pitched shriek shook me from my dream. I quickly sat up and searched for the cause. A frantic mother was standing waist deep in the water, waving her hands and screaming. She was pointing widely at a little speck that was floating further and further out to sea. The lifeguard jumped from his tower and started running towards the ocean, the beach goers were staring in shock. I realized that the speck was a child and it was caught in a riptide.

I pulled my sunglasses further down on my nose and intently stared at the little speck of a child floating away. I fiddled my fingers discreetly on my lap and watched as the ocean began to stir. The water became choppy, bubbling up around the small child. It lifted the child up in a small wave and brought her crashing back down next to her mother. Before the lifeguard even had a chance to hit the water, the little girl was safely back with her mother.

The crowd cheered in relief. The lifeguard tended to the child to make sure she was okay. I leaned back in my chair, a small smile playing on my lips. I never got tired of stretching my magic and using it whenever I could, especially to help others. After spending so long imprisoned inside my own body, it felt good to use my abilities however I wanted to.

"It was like the ocean just returned that girl!" One girl said wildly to her friend,

"I know! Did you see that? That was crazy!" The beach blonde responded.

"The ocean was just like nah bro, let's send this one back!" Two surfers were carrying their boards across the beach as they talked loudly to each other,

"The tides are wild, man." I shook my head at their speculations and settled my sunglasses back on my face. Mortals had an explanation for everything, but it was hardly ever the right one.

After another hour, I decided it was time to head back into the hotel for dinner and a shower. I was gathering up my towel when something blocked my sunlight. I squinted up at the tall, dripping wet man holding a surfboard who was standing in my sunlight.

"You work at the bookstore, don't you?" He asked me with a crooked grin on his round face. I eyed him skeptically,

"Oh, Abi's my sister." He clarified.

"Yes, I do." I admitted, recognizing the same brown eyes that Abi had.

"I'm usually Abi's ride. I thought I recognized you!" He beamed, proud of himself,

"Abi says you're new to town." He added. I just nodded, grabbing my towel and folding it over my arm.

"Where are you from?" He asked. I raised an eyebrow at him suspiciously. I didn't like answering questions.

"Ireland." I mumbled.

"Woah, far out!" He said loudly, causing me to jump a little.

"I'm Austin, but the way." He reached out his hand and I reluctantly shook it,

"Mari." I replied.

I realized quickly that Marigold wasn't exactly a normal name around here and earned me way too much attention. I remembered the nickname Stone gave me when we first met and decided to go with that for now. The last thing I needed was more attention or somebody asking questions about where I came from.

"How do you like it here so far?" Austin asked.

"I like the beach." I replied plainly. I started to walk away from my chair and sighed when I noticed Austin was still following me.

"Are you hungry? I can show you a great pizza joint." Austin suggested, grinning so wide that his dimples were nearly popping off his cheeks.

"That's kind of you to offer, but I have somewhere to be." I lied.

"Oh, well, next time! I'll see you around the bookstore." Austin wiggled his brown eyes at me as if he was trying to say more without speaking. I forced a smile and waved as he jogged across the beach. My smile faded and I rolled my eyes after him before retreating to my hotel room.