31 - The United Continent

It took Elanthin a minute but when she'd decoded the meaning behind his words, she glared daggers at Aetrian. Sharpened ones.

"You wouldn't dare to propose tha–"

"Propose, yes. That's what I'll do." Aetrian nodded as if he hadn't noticed that she was going to disagree. "I'll do it publicly. If you pretend to be enthusiastic about our engagement, we could solve the current situation faster than it has arisen."

"No."

Her answer had been as quick as it was simple. Elanthin hadn't taken any time to think about it because she didn't need it; the tight knot in her gut told her how to answer.

Aetrian smiled at her with a raised brow. "Is there any particular reason why it's impossible for you to marry me? We're both of royal blood – and you like my face, I know at least that much."

She felt her cheeks flush – which was an entirely unfamiliar sensation. Before she'd met Aetrian, there hadn't been a reason for it.

"Marriage isn't that simple a tool", she protested. It wasn't like Aetrian was wrong. They had an issue – and there was an easy fix to the situation, offered to them on a silver tablet. However, there was a lot to be considered – not only about the present but also about future consequences. When she'd return to the Plains eventually, there would be a whole new reason for unrest in the joined kingdoms.

Aetrian made a contemplating face as if he didn't know exactly what Elanthin was talking about.

"Hm, I've never thought of the ceremony as especially challenging."

"Declaring marriage might be easy but what about matters of the houses' separation? Of inheritance?", held Elanthin against his feigned ignorance. Why was he bent on using these means? Surely there was something else they could do. "It's too complicated. Especially since we'd have to find a way to annul it later without upsetting the new balance."

"And why would we do that?"

"What do you –"

"I am asking why you're so determined to divorce me already."

Aetrian had inched closer without her notice and the shrinking distance between them made Elanthin long for her swords. However, it wasn't for the usual reason of protecting her life. She simply felt the need for protection against Aetrian's sudden advances.

Partly, because she wasn't sure on how long she would be able to stay on the defense. Did she have a better response to her carelessness on the plaza? If the arrow hadn't grazed her arm, they wouldn't have played into the hands of the opposition.

"What kind of couple plans for their divorce before they're even engaged?", added Aetrian. His voice was calm but he was staring at her face as if he wanted to see through her blue eyes and right into her brain. "There are some things you should consider before marriage to a Gratian. One of them is that we're not fond of separation."

If Gratia looked down upon divorce, it would become even more difficult to avoid upsetting the kingdom upon their separation. Even if they solely stayed apart in their respective kingdoms, it wouldn't improve the public opinion of their relationship.

So, in other words, Aetrian was saying that this marriage would become a contract for life. If she were to stay, she would stay; for as long as they lived – unless the treaty was broken.

"You couldn't be thinking of doing this marriage properly?", asked Elanthin with a dry mouth. Somehow, Aetrian's expression changed even if the smile remained on his face. For a second, Elanthin considered that she might have succeeded in insulting him this time around. Even if she'd read up on life in Gratia, there were a lot of things she didn't know. Especially on a topic that had barely crossed her mind in the past.