5. When I Stole Money

It's about the time when I was in grade 3 living with my grand parents as Mom had been in Mumbai for my younger sister's heart treatment for few months. Dadaji had a fixed schedule for weekends (Saturday evening to Monday morning) to go to other town named 'Renwal' for his practice as there was a high demand of him to be there for being a trusted vaidya in areas around. As he couldn't get time in working days, so he scheduled his weekend plans as required.

Holi festival was about to come. In the same regards, one Saturday I was asked to join Dadaji with Maa (Granny) to the town for some purchasing for Holi. I was excited to buy a new dress. And, as I had never used any water gun before, I demanded that too, to which Dadaji agreed easily.

While leaving for school in the morning, Dadaji advised me not to waste my time in dispersal and to come as earlier as I could

While leaving for school in the morning, Dadaji advised me not to waste my time in dispersal and to come as earlier as I could. It was so, because I had a habit of completing my Homework in school playground itself before coming back to home. So that I could have more time to play other than study hours. Moreover there would be no tension left of doing Homework behind.

I left home in excitement and in school I shared the things with my besties.

Well, Ok !!

Well, Ok !!

The school was running as always and I got busy there forgetting what I was asked for, in the morning.

Recess bell rang. Few of my friends left for their homes to have lunch. Rest all took their pocket money to spend in their favourite things to eat. Though, I had a toy 'Godrej Almirah' full of coins but I was never allowed to spend pocket money for waste. For this, I often felt like I was being teased for not having money in hand. I always defended myself saying that I had much lot money than them all, in my money bank. But they disagreed with me saying that how could they believe me without seeing in real. So I decided to show them who I was. I went home to have my lunch. While returning back to school I thought to steal my own money bank from showcase almirah. But how to hide from Dadaji, when I had to cross him to my way towards that. It was a dangerous game to play. But me being me.

'Who cares ?'

'Will see, what happens.'

I tiptoed through hall where Dadaji and Maa were easily visible sitting in their room as the door of the room opened into the hall. Without making any sound, I emptied my money bank on to the platform bed mattress in the hall and took all the money with me, secretly. Dadaji didn't even notice what I was doing, coz' he was busy in conversation with Granny. I easily stole whole my savings. While stealing, I was feeling very sorry for hiding from Dadaji, but what I planned was to show my wealth to my friends only, in the school. Then I was supposed to replace it as before, like nothing had happened. So I didn't bother to think much of it.