Chapter Twenty Five

Chapter Twenty Five

Roller Coaster

Warehouse

India

January 18

1830 hours

I had no control over my legs as I ran for my life to the door. I should have listened to Erica. I should have listened to Erica. I should have—

I screamed as the first bomb blew up behind me. I must have been out of mind to think I'd make it out of this alive. The heat seared my back as I jumped over a pile of rubble. The double doors were open, and I could see the rest of the team standing there frozen, knowing they couldn't do anything. Adrenaline coursed through my veins, and I was only slightly aware of my surroundings.

I was at the center of the warehouse. I tossed the third bomb, and the second one blew up, this time closer and louder. I forced myself to go faster, my eyes locked on Erica, who was standing there, stock still, her face drained of color.

I wasn't in my head as I tossed the fourth explosive and the third bomb went, and as I was thrown forwards. I didn't know what was happening as I pushed myself to my feet and kept going. I barely noticed that I was at the door, and the fourth and final bomb was at its last second. With one final feat, I threw myself out the doors, and landed on my face on the pavement. I screamed in pain, but it quickly subsided as darkness reached me, and I secretly hoped it was death.

***

I woke up in somebody's arms. They had me cradled against their torso, and head leaned over mine, weeping.

"Ben you could have died," I heard her say, between sobs. Her icy blue eyes locked with mine and I could tell she was legitimately shaken.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "For everything, Erica. I'm sorry." The anger had subsided. In fact, I couldn't remember why I'd been mad at her in the first place.

She only cried harder. I had no idea what was going on. She pulled me against herself and placed her brow on my hair. I was too tired to notice properly. I shifted slightly and then I looked up at her.

Her eyes fluttered closed, and she took a deep breath. "You're alive. It's not an illusion. You are really alive."

"I am alive. I'm sitting in front of you."

And when her eyes opened again, she leaned in and kissed me.

That was when I became aware of who stood around us.

Catherine and Alexander, Charlotte, Jessica and Li Ming, Noah and Jake. All of them staring at us. And yet Erica still wept and didn't move. I glanced at her, but she didn't look at me. So I smiled, despite the pain that coursed through me.

The warehouse was gone. The virus was mostly destroyed. I didn't have the words to express how I felt, so instead I just placed my chin on Erica's shoulder and let the flames roar around us.

(Ayo I was actually pretty close, its 498 words, almost 500)