Chapter 12

The council would give Alec their decision regarding the prisoner's fate, and he would be expected to carry out their wishes. In front of the raised dais, the girl stood with two guards flanking her.

When they walked in, the men talking on the dais ceased. They all stood and when the girl twisted around. Jade's breath caught in her throat. The girl's dark brown hair was a mess, and she had dirt all over her face. Her gown was torn and her eyes were glazed, but they seemed to clear and flare with hatred upon seeing Jade.

Alec called the meeting to start, which began with him narrowing his eyes at the girl for several long moments. He then read out her crimes. "You're charged with the crime of attempting to murder members of the High Council. You're also charged with the crime of treason." Alec's voice did not give the slightest hint of his sympathy for the girl, but his hand found Jade's and he squeezed her fingers hard before continuing. "What do you have to say? Guilty or Not Guilty?"

"I am guilty of no crime," the girl shouted in answer to the charges. When she tried to take a step toward the dais, Jade tensed, but the guards flanking her quickly restrained her. She kicked and twisted her arms to no avail, finally stopping when she must have realized she'd not get loose. "You are the ones who need to be held accountable for your crimes against your people!" she screeched louder. "Our children are starving while the lot of you gorge yourselves at your fine feasts." she cried out.

One of the council members stood and raised a hand for silence. "Ivy Chatsworth you stand before this council to answer for your crimes, we will not allow your slanderous lies to continue! You stand accused of orchestrating an act of terrorism, treason and attempting to murder a member of the high council, and attacking a daughter of Adearia and heir to the throne of Petram. How do you plead?!"

Silence over fell the room as everyone waited to hear her reply. She took a ragged breath and with hatred burning in her eyes she stood before her accusers. "I am guilty of nothing! I no longer hold myself accountable to your council. We seek justice for the murder of innocents and the abuse and gross neglect of the people by this council. We starve while you gorge yourselves on your ill-gotten spoils. We want equality among the houses, for we will no longer be your slaves. You do nothing to stop the illegal human trafficking going on and turn a blind eye as families are forced to work for the cartel or be executed in the streets. So I ask you, what do you have to say for your crimes against the people?" she finished with a shout.

"Enough! We will hear no more of your slanderous lies! For your crimes, this council finds you guilty and you will be executed. Unless you hand over the names and location of your accomplices in exchange for your life." He finished.

"I will tell you nothing." She replied.

"Very well, then you die. Take her away." He ordered the guards and sat down. Jade watched on in horror as the guards began to drag the girl from the room. She could feel her heart pounding in her chest. She had to do something to help. She could allow this poor girl to die. Especially when she knew she was responsible for her capture.

"Wait!" she shouted and stepped forward. Murmurs could be heard throughout the great hall. Jade's mind was busy formulating a plan to help the girl. She needed to buy some time. "I believe I can be of some assistance. I can find the location of the girl's accomplices, but I need her alive." She stated.

"No, I'll kill you first!" screamed the girl and Jade fought hard not to flinch at the full force of the girl's stark hatred being directed at her. She understood the girl's reasoning and dismissed it from her mind. She knew that the girl would soon realize that Jade was only trying to help her. The lie was necessary if the girl was to live.

"How can you do what you are suggesting?" questioned Tobias, interested in what she had to say. "I will interrogate her and get the information you need," Jade said.