A blooming promise

They were back in the warmth of the moment before the tragic story, a story that felt like it lasted a lifetime. With only the cold dripping tears from Kyojuro's eyes to befall on her warm land. She panicked with fluttering eyelids and a awkward smile, even more bewildered from his sudden burst of emotions mixed with both his own and the heroines.

Hurriedly waving her arms around, she didn't know what to do to comfort the weeping child. She pondered and pondered on what to do to soothe his heart, when she suddenly thought of something, an action she saw once upon a time. Cupping his teary cheeks, she tilted his head up and leaned in. Planting a kiss on his forehead, followed by her warmest smile.

Thankfully his tears stopped, and was left with only the rose shade of pink on his nose and cheeks.

"K-Kohana?!?"

He flusterdly called, watching her stand up for the first time. Rising to her feet softly and gracefully, not even ruffling a strand of grass by her feet. Reaching up like a tree with its branches she held a hand towards kyojuro. He happily accepted, wrapping his hands within hers as she smiled. After years she no longer seemed as big as she did before, and standing side by side they were nearly the same height with kyojuro only being half a head shorter than she.

He felt his feet detach from the ground, and without realizing it he was being held up in her arms. Arms that were smaller than his, that seemed more fragile than his, yet was sturdy and strong enough to hold him.

 Arms that were smaller than his, that seemed more fragile than his, yet was sturdy and strong enough to hold him

"What are you doing? Kohana?!? Please put me down!"

He requested, only for it not to be answered. Kohana slowly began to walk, with each step that peaked up from under the fabric of her clothes, and hiding back inside. With each few minutes she travelled, the scenery changed along with her. A snowy night, a autumn evening, a fairytale forest like Tír na nÓg, she showed him anything he could want.

He looked behind them, as the previous scene hid farther and farther away, and her hair that blended in with the earth itself. He looked back down at her smiling expression, completely at peace enjoying her time with the boy she had only met twice, for what felt like years.

In a year, two, three, or maybe another five, kyojuro wondered if he would grow up tall and strong enough like one of her trees, to hold her the same way she is to him in this moment. If at that moment he would be able to be the one to show her magnificent things, if there is any left for him to offer.

He drowned himself in curiosity from the world around, reaching for the flowers above and the spirits that followed them. Placing only best of flowers to compliment Kohana on her head, fascinated at how they blended themselves onto her with a mere sparkle.

He told her tales of his world outside, both the joys and the tragic. Watching the colours of the nature around colour themselves with each story. Slowly taking away the last of the aching in his heart, that builded up in all those years, mending the cracks on his soul with paints of gold.

Their travels seemingly drawn to its end, as a tunnel by a waterfall stood before them.

The crashing sounds of water hitting against itself brought him back to the reality that he must go eventually, and nothing is ever lasting

The crashing sounds of water hitting against itself brought him back to the reality that he must go eventually, and nothing is ever lasting. His feet reconnected to the ground, and the touch of Kohana left him all accept for their intertwined hands. The same little wisps that guided him back then reappeared, this time it served a different purpose. It lighted up the end of the dark tunnel, unveiling the unexpected view of his own home, with his younger brother anxiously awaiting his return.

That is when he finally understood, why Kohana had only moved those few steps in all those years. She was waiting for him, waiting for the day that if the hurt little boy that needed comfort ever wanted to return he would find his place here once again. The only steps she moved in that long numbing time, was only so that he wouldn't harm himself encountering the bear.

Kyojuro's brows knitted together with an unexplainable emotion boiling in him. Gratitude, pity, sorrow, and empathy.

"Kohana, thank you for waiting for me, the next time I come I won't make you wait so long I promise, and this time I'll be prepared to full fill the promise to thank you from last time"

Kyojuro said, letting go of her hand. Kohana watched as he ran through the tunnel, with the same smile and wave.