"If we act like a couple, we'll be less suspicious" <3

oneshot inspired by caitvi fanart (above) by @/cass_a_rollie on twitter !

tw: alcohol, drunk character, person tries to hit on cait and vi

context: vi's now an enforcer but her and cait are still just friends. they're looking into a case at a local bar in town.

---

I open the door to the bar, Caitlyn by my side and hopefully a lead on our case in the building.

I pull my hood off, entering the loud space. The crowd of people pushes Caitlyn into my side, and she glances around the bar.

Suddenly, Caitlyn grabs my hand, interlocking our fingers.

"Wha-" I start.

"If we act like a couple, we'll be less suspicious," She glances at me, her cheeks tinted pink.

I widen my eyes and crack a smile, tightening my hold on her soft hand.

"Let's ask the bartender about our suspect," Caitlyn says, pulling my hand towards the large and crowded bar.

She sits at a barstool, tugging me onto the one beside her.

The bartender walks over, cleaning her hands with a rag.

"What can I get you ladies?" She asks, cocking her head.

"We were wondering if you knew anything about this," Caitlyn slides a piece of paper to the bartender as she looks it over, eyeing us both.

"Who's asking?" The bartender questions, looking Caitlyn up and down.

"C'mon, darling," I say as Caitlyn eyes me. "Stop pressing the poor woman for answers. Relax a bit," 

I turn back to the bartender, "Two of your strongest drinks."

The bartender nods and turns away as Caitlyn turns back to me.

"What are you doing?! That could have been a lead," She whispers harshly.

"Relax. She didn't know anything," I say, scanning the room as Caitlyn sighs.

I grab her hand, pulling her to an empty booth. Before we make it there, a lanky man stops us, looking us up and down.

"Helloo," He wobbles over, definitely drunk.

I ignore him, moving towards the booth.

"How're you two tonight?" He grins, continuing to follow us. Caitlyn's whole body tenses as she moves closer to me.

"We're great," I say, putting my arm around Caitlyn's shoulders. She clasps my hand as the man stares at us, seemingly disappointed.

"So you two are a couple?" His words slur as he points his drink at us.

"Sure are," I grin, standing on my toes to plant a kiss on Caitlyn's cheek. She blushes furiously, her eyes darting around the room before landing on the floor.

The man laughs, turning back to the bar.

I smirk, lifting Caitlyn's chin to force her eyes on mine, "Just getting into character, cupcake."

She moves her jaw out of my grasp, pulling her hood over her head to hide the fiery blush spreading across her face.

I pull her into the booth, slouching against the cushion as I wrap my arm around her shoulders. She stiffens, mouth pinched into a fine line.

"Stay on task, Vi."

"Aw, c'mon, cupcake. Gotta make our romance believable," I raise my eyebrows as she scoffs, shrugging my hand off her shoulder.

The bartender then walks over with our drinks, and Caitlyn hesitantly leans towards me.

"Here you are," The bartender nods, setting the two drinks in front of us.

"So, you don't know anything about the... information I showed you?" Caitlyn asks, raising her eyebrows.

"Nope. I don't know what you want, lady." She sighs, turning and walking away from the table.

She walks back to the bar and Caitlyn moves away from me, reaching for her drink. She takes a long swig and sets it back on the table, sighing.

"Still no leads. Captain's gonna kill me," She groans, rubbing her forehead.

"Calm down, little miss perfect. We'll figure it out, we always do," I say, taking a sip of my drink.

She glances at me before nodding and leaning back into the seat.

"What would you do without me, babe?" I sigh, saying the sentence just to annoy her.

Caitlyn punches me in the arm, groaning.

"Love you, too," I add in a mocking tone as she buries her face in her hands.