Chapter 1

Here is a line for those who like to note if they are First Time Readers (FTR) or Re-Readers (RR). 

*       *       * 

A thin haze of smoke from tallow candles filled the air as I asked the tavern keeper, "Since this guide hasn't come to the village yet, do you know of anyone else I can hire?"

"Sorry, M' Lady-"

"Call me Olivia, please. I'm just a trader, and I'd rather not be mistaken for a noble, especially these days," I said, glancing uneasily over my shoulder, but no one else was in the tavern yet. Hedric knew the reality behind my elderly widow disguise, but no one else in this village did.

The burly man shrugged. "Not many will escort people over them mountains, even in summer. The journey's even more perilous in winter, and the few that might have accepted got drafted an' dragged off."

He slammed the heavy mug down on the warped counter to express his opinion of having his patrons taken away by the various feuding war parties trying to lay claim to this area. If this man hadn't also been the village's only blacksmith and tanner, he likely would have suffered a similar fate by now.

I rubbed my temple, wishing the winter storms hadn't rolled in a full moonturn before their normal season. I had envisioned a large profit after an excellent summer with the northern trading caravans, but due to the powerful storms, I wasn't able to hire a ship to sail my load of exotic fabrics and pelts down the coast. Instead, I'd been forced to sell most of it since coins were much easier to carry through the war-torn kingdom I had to cross to get home.

No trader in their right mind would try transporting goods by wagon or cart while various warlords fought for control. It had been hard enough to evade notice riding on an old mule, even while disguised as an elderly widow.

Outside the thick, cloudy window, the Navier Mountains loomed over the village. The twisted, scraggly trees looked like they hid all sorts of dangerous animals and bandits, which they did. It was why people crossing over them hired an escort or traveled in large groups.

"Is the man likely to come to town today?" I asked without much hope, my eyes not straying from the window. Several children in ragged clothing ran down the dirt road, likely heading home for their dinner.

"Haven't seen no knights lurking 'round today, so 'tis likely."

Considering the sun was mere hours from setting, that wasn't the answer I expected, especially not after being stuck in this tiny village for three days.

Seeing my perplexed expression, the man said, "Dunno where his camp is, but he never shows 'til after sunset. Prob'ly how he evaded the soldiers."

I nodded thoughtfully and headed to the stable to check on Milly. When I entered the stable, the scraggly gray mule poked her head out of her stall with a quiet snort. She playfully grabbed the bridle bit off the nail and brandished it between her teeth.

With a smile, I grabbed onto the edge sticking out and tugged it lightly. Milly tossed her head and broke my grasp. Reaching up, I began scratching behind her ears. She leaned into my hand and dropped the bit in her distraction. After a few more scratches, I hung the bit where she couldn't reach it and began brushing her.

I puttered around the stable and also brushed the two old plowhorses to reduce my room fee. They were only brought into the safety of the stable at night, so they hadn't made a mess yet. Horse musk was preferable to lounging in my cramped room or enduring the ale-enhanced male boasting that would soon take over the tavern.

"Hedric said you wanted to talk with me?"

With an effort, I managed to not jump at the stranger's voice or reach for the dagger hidden under my cloak. Silently berating myself for getting lost in the peacefulness of grooming the horses, I lowered the brush and turned to the doorway, where a man leaned against the doorpost.