Chapter 13

The night was rather quiet.

After that whole exchange with Jaldabaoth, you assumed he would do whatever he could to at least creep into your very dreams, but he refrained. A part of you began to wonder if that was because he was just injured as well.

You could only hope...

Your senses slowly awoke before you even opened your eyes. About your legs, you could feel the weighted metal of Demiurge's tail as it laid peacefully upon you. The warmth he exuded embraced your skin even if he was only a mere few inches from you. It was akin to walking out in the warm rays of the sun.

Opening your eyes, you noted he was still resting as his features remained relaxed, undisturbed. Even the subtle growl rumbled in his throat that hinted he was snoring just slightly. Even if you knew he didn't require sleep, it was nice to know he was willing to do so just this once.

As you moved your back just slightly, it was there you felt someone curled up behind you. If you dared to roll over, you knew you'd hurt the one there. Looking over your shoulder, you noted Nyala finding rest as well in a fetal position. Even if she too was an archdevil, she didn't seem to have the same warmth as Demiurge did. To be fair, she was even intent to sleep—something Demiurge said most demons didn't do.

Maybe it was different when it came to newborns. You could ask later.

You were cautious as you turned over to meet with Nyala. Carefully, you slid your arm under her and brought her a bit closer to your chest to allow the young one to find comfort all the more. She stirred but only slightly. The moment the warmth from your own body met her yet again, the demon child calmed herself and remained at rest.

Sparing a kiss to her wild, white hair, you did your best to distract your mind from the horrible images of the fight that the two brothers had hours ago. Given how Jaldabaoth didn't seem to care if he killed you, did that mean he was now intent to murder his brother's mate? If that were the case, you knew you had to be far more cautious than before.

"It is still evening," Demiurge's voice muttered quietly.

Shocked by his tone, you tensed only for a moment before glancing over at the Demon King. "Oh, uh, sorry. Did I wake you?"

He shook his head, obviously peering in your direction from what you could gather. His eyes were still squinted, making it impossible to see the gems underneath. "Don't worry of it so much. I am merely resting as it is to prevent too much strain on my body."

You smiled crookedly. "Well, I am just glad you're doing so even if you want to believe your demonic body doesn't require it."

He stifled a small laugh, which rumbled in his throat. "How is Nyala doing?"

"Just fine." You looked at her, noting she still hadn't moved much. "One of the guards was rather standoffish when it came to her being here. She said your scent wasn't on her." On reflex, your embrace tightened about her.

"Mm, ah. That." He cleared his throat, perhaps to hide the minor spasms of pain that dared to rupture through him when it came to the wounds of his previous fight. "Seeing as she's not born from me or from here, the guards would recognize that. They see her as an intruder." He reached over, placing his hand reassuringly on your side. "Do not fret, my dear. I will scent her later."

"Thank you. I do not wish for those women to kill her without thought."

Demiurge stifled a sarcastic laugh at the thought. "If they dared try, I would have them punished severely for it." His palm moved against your side, rubbing you in a tender motion that felt as though it hid a desire for more. "She is safe here, I assure you."