Chapter Nine

Bright lights

and corny rides

filled with laughter

and anxious cries

of tiny children

and frustrated sighs

of parents who can't win

the giant stuffed toy.

The Cliche Ferris wheel

known as a romantic getaway

for horny teens

and drama queens

Once night time comes

the stars loom overhead

who knew this night would give light

to such a fight

of fearless kisses

and a flow of tears

now I know what I feel

only it was too good to be real.

So as people leave this fun filled scene

all I have is an upset stomach

from too much junk

and a sickened heart

who felt too much.

***        

Austin's lips touch mine and my eyes widen. Instantly, I feel him stiffen and pull away. I swallow, millions of thoughts going through my head as I stare at Austin. He stares back, and then glances away.

"Austin-" I start to say something, I'm not sure what but Austin cuts me off.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that. It was a mistake."

The Ferris wheel starts moving forward and Austin and I don't say anything. I don't know what to do, what to say.

When the ride finally hits the ground, the attendant let us loose and Austin starts walking away. Instead of stopping him, instead of making him tell me why he kissed me or most importantly, telling him how I feel, I let him leave.

Slowly I follow behind him to the entrance of the carnival, unable to clearly think.

How could he just kiss me and do that?

As I walk by the canteen area, I see Austin and Carla. Austin is up against the back of the burger bus and Carla is pressing up against him.

My heart starts to sink as I witness Carla kiss him. Suddenly, as if Austin could sense that someone there, he look up and our eyes connect. Carla looks up and sees me standing there too smirking as she waves to me. Then she reaches up and kisses Austin on the lips once more.