thirty eight

"You're coming back right?" Solana asked, looking at the small building ahead, fidgeting with her fingers.

"I promise I am babe, I'm just gone take the kids to the park around the corner and then when you're done I'll be in the parking lot waiting." Heaven nodded.

Solana was having her first counseling session outside of the mental rehab and for some reason she was very nervous. The thought of being by herself for a while in the real world scared her. Heaven made her feel safe.

"Okay. Only an hour. I'll be ready in a hour." Solana told her for the third time, since they had been sitting in the parking lot.

"Yes ma'am. One hour." Heaven repeated.

Solana's hand finally opened the passenger door, followed by her feet sliding to the side. She grabbed the small cross body purse and adjusted it over her shoulder.

"Okay Solana." Solana said to herself, closing the door. She slowly walked towards the building, occasionally looking back at Heaven.

Heaven waited all the way until Solana was in the building and sat in the parking lot for an extra five minutes, to see if Solana would come back out. When she didn't, she put the car in gear and pulled off.

"Mama why she so quiet?" Nevaeh asked, giving her iPad to Daloni.

"Remember I told you she's very shy, so we have to wait until she adjust." Heaven stated, driving around to the local park around the block from the counseling center.

"I'm shy too." Nevaeh shrugged.

Heaven scoffed. "Girl shy and Nevaeh don't even belong in the same sentence."

"Is papa shy too?" Nevaeh asked.

"I don't think he's shy. I just don't think he likes new people." Heaven stated. In all honesty, she didn't believe Daloni was mean. He was an angel in her eyes.

"Yeah me neither." Nevaeh nodded.

"Rawrrr!" Daloni yelled, playing the dinosaur game that Nevaeh had downloaded for him. She was starting to share her iPad more, because she didn't like when he cried.

"Okay y'all. Vaeh watch out for your brother, but neither one of y'all are to talk to strangers. I'm gone be sitting right there on that bench." Heaven said, giving the kids the rundown, while pulling into the park.

"Yes ma'am." Nevaeh smiled. When Heaven took the child locks off, the little girl wasted no time hopping out of the Range Rover running full speed to the park.

"Wait me Vae." Daloni whined, trying to undo his seatbelt. Heaven chuckled, reaching back to undo his seatbelt. She wrapped the mask around his face, and helped him open the door.

Heaven watched him run bowleggedly to the playground in her rearview mirror. She grabbed his bookbag that had snacks and juice pouches for both kids and her sunglasses.

The only reason she took the kids to the park was because they were messing up the house. She wanted them to get all of their energy out, so that when they went back home they could take a nap.

Sitting on the bench right in front of the playground, Heaven watched the kids tensely, making sure they were playing safe and not talking to any strangers.

"My name Nevaeh, and this my papa. You can't touch him, or I gotta beat you up." Nevaeh explained to the little girl she had just met.

"I'm Destiny, and boys have cooties anyway." The girl shrugged.

"He don't have cooties." Nevaeh rolled her neck. She rolled her eyes and went to the monkey bars to show off the fact that she could hang upside down.