Mersus

❞𝕱or the love of God, why hasn't she stopped crying Asfand?" Zeenia held the wailing baby a safe distance away, her eyes wide with worry

The baby blinked her watery eyes at her parents, drool pooling at the corner of her lips, her pudgy legs kicking the air. "Maybe we should call the nanny?"

"I don't know! I don't know what to do-"

"Ma'am if you'd just let me," Mrs. Khan interjected and held out her arms. Zeenia handed Zohra to Mrs. Khan watching her gently turn her over and rub her back.

"I'm calling the child specialist-"

"Taimoor, let Mrs. Khan do her thing. Babies get indigestion, it's not a big deal," I croaked.

"She hasn't stopped crying Daania," his brows pulled together as he stared at his niece.

"I know Taimoor," my gaze sliced to Zeenia, who gave a tired huff when meeting my eyes. "Affandi will you please take Zeenia to the bedroom? Help her get some rest?"

"But Zohra? I can't leave her-"

Abruptly, Zohra's cries died down as she settled in Mrs. Khan's arms, her little mouth softening into a small pink pout, breaths finally coming easier as she was lulled back to sleep. Her father reached for her hand and held it tight, the tense muscles of his face finally beginning to soften.

"There you go, all's well now-"

I pursed my lips as I fought the wave of relief and began to turn.

"I should still call the Nanny. We should ask her to move in-" Zeenia threw a panicked look Taimoor's way, her eyebrows scrunching together, worried about her bother and his justified aversion to people.

"Why don't we all sit down and think about this?"

"There are plenty of rooms in the house, and the east wing is completely disconnected from the west wing," Taimoor answered after a while, his face a mask of stone. I choked in a breath, sticky and clinging to my throat, my eyes wide, trying to confirm with every sense what I was hearing.

Affandi stared at his brother-in-law as if he could not recognize the man in front of him.

Zeenia nodded even though I knew that wasn't quite it."It's only for a short time, we'll be leaving for Mughal Manor soon."

"Your mother's expected to arrive tomorrow, maybe we'll leave in a week?" I processed Affandi's words, and the new information and told myself it was purely my self-preservation that made me want to know more.

"Yeah and we've got to plan for the reception too-"

My lips thinned and in spite of my protest, I couldn't stop myself from saying."We should get your Nanny set up in the east wing first."

Zeenia acknowledged me with a small smile before looking to her husband, who dropped a soft kiss on the top of her head before putting his arm around her shoulder and taking her to their room.